Convert from Electric to Natural Gas

jcyphert

I recently acquired a Caldera Salina Spa with Electric Heat. I have free gas and would like to convert it over to the Raypak 156a. It already has the remote control option built into it. My question is, how do I send the on/off signal from the current Caldera topside board to the new Raypak Heater when it demands heat? 

Currently, I believe when the board demands heat it just turns the 240v elec heater on that directly wired to the board. 

Your spa sensors still control the pump, and will turn it on whenever it calls for heat. If you need protection on the heater you will have to relocate the temp sensor, which is easy to say...

Post pics of equipment and circuit board. Most Caldera spas have a 24/7 low flow circ pump that will not work for your gas heater because the flow is too low to activate the pressure switch. Depending on the control system, you probably cannot make it run as an on-demand heat with the main pump. Calderas are usually designed solely for a low flow circulation pump.

• Like 1

So it looks like when the control needs heat, it just pushes 220v power to the electric heater. Would I be able to put a relay (or something) in line that would sense the 220v and close the circuit to turn on the raypak?

I guess I'm not following how it would work if the control calls for heat and the raypak says it's still good. Or worse, the raypak thinks it needs to turn on but the spa doesn't so the spa pump never kicks on and the heat is running.

20210714_172447.jpg

20210714_172453.jpg

20210714_172459.jpg

20210714_172506.jpg

20210714_172525.jpg

20210714_172533.jpg

I don't see a lot if savings here. That spa should run no more than $450/$500 a year on electric and a large portion of that you will need to spend anyway for filtering and running the pumps when in use. Heating cost is a part but not ALL your monthly cost. You will be 6/7/8 years before you see any savings and by that time the $2000 Raypack will need replacement and you start all over...but you might get lucky. Like @RDspaguymentioned flow rate and tapping into 3/4 " low flow plumbing might cause issue. You are going to need to do a lot of research to make it work. I could see interest in a gas set up if you had a swim spa.

Will this be just for the hot tub or is it going to feed/heat a pool as well?.... then maybe the cost is justified 

46 minutes ago, jcyphert said:

Would I be able to put a relay (or something) in line that would sense the 220v and close the circuit to turn on the raypak?

You wouldn't even need a relay, but it won't help you. The heater already has it's own computer, startup, sensors, etc. It is made to work on a pump on a timer. Interrupting main power will not change a thing. But that tiny pump (last pic) cannot keep up with ANY gas heater. Period. And that control system cannot be made to run the main pump for heat. You could drop in a relay to fire off of the circ pump and feed the main pump with it, but then your jets are on high constantly, which will burn up your pump, overheat your spa, and cost you more than the electric heater would in power usage. 

You will have to put in a new control system, which is a problem with these as nothing aftermarket will fit.

My advice is send the heater back, or buy a different spa for it.

• Like 2

There are other things you can do for efficiency... Use a cover cap. Keeps cold air from blowing through the cover and will also keep the heat in better. the  https://www.canadahottubparts.ca/hot-tub-cover-cap/ 

Thermal blanket on top of the water: https://www.thecoverguy.com/en-ca/products/spas-and-accessories/caps-and-blankets/deluxe-foam-thermal-blanket-8x8/

Both are a bit of a PIA though.

Check your owners manual for Economy or Summer Time modes.

I keep mine at set temp 104. Might turn down to 95 if I know I won't use it for a few days. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

PA cold sure....I live in Canada and really your spa is well built and well insulated and designed to be efficient in cold climates. 

What is causing you to be so concerned? Have you received over the top hydro bills?

This is a new-to-me spa that I already fixed. This will be the first I have used it.

I own the gas well and it has far too much pressure on it. So the more I burn off the better. I hate to pay for something that I have sitting there for free so I'm pretty reluctant on the electricity avenue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jcyphert said:

This is a new-to-me spa that I already fixed. This will be the first I have used it.

I own the gas well and it has far too much pressure on it. So the more I burn off the better. I hate to pay for something that I have sitting there for free so I'm pretty reluctant on the electricity avenue.

I get it.... but IMO right now with the spa you have it's a square peg in a round hole kinda deal. There are systems available to do what you want (see below) and it can be done. Can it be done with your current system and set up... 

https://geckoportal.com/ingrid

https://issuu.com/geckomkt/docs/ingrid_techbook_en?e=14165552/54355200

• Like 1

The main issue is flow rate from the circ pump, which is too low for the heater you ordered (but might work with a household water heater, regular or tankless) and the replumbing that would be needed, not to mention the bigger pump, to increase it. On a home water heater that uses 120v, feeding power off of the board heater connection will work as a thermostat control. It won't work with a pilot light heater (millivolt). You will get a little overheat from a tank, but a tankless you won't.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jcyphert said:

Are you using this to heat or just filter? I'm more worried about proper circulation and ability to heat.

Just to filter.

My CalSpa is a 1988 model, and I always had issues with its factory filter cartridge housing leaking, plus the big plastic "nut" kept breaking and was at least $20.  Plus access to even remove the housing was ridiculous.

So I routed the plumbing out of the cabinet, with shut off valves on both sides of the filter, and used an aftermarket Hayward filter unit which seals at the top.  I cover this all with a wooden box I made, not in the photo.

DSC05035_zpsinrfbnhk.jpg

• Like 1