NOT HEATING

pugs

Hi hoping someone can help, my 240v spa stopped heating recently and I checked the heater element (3kw Balboa) and found it was receiving 240v at the element terminals so I figured it was shot and swapped it out with a new one but unfortunately did not fixed and still have a no heating issue . I still have 240v at the terminals. Interestingly I just checked the old units resistance at about 19 ohms so it may have been ok also? .... If the new one measures 240v at the terminals shouldn't it heat?, it appears to have enough flow although I cant measure pressure I can feel decent flow entering the spa  

23 minutes ago, pugs said:

have 240 terminal to terminal and 240 to ground

Where are you located? Or was that a typo?

24 minutes ago, pugs said:

dodgy new unit?

Where are you located... 😉

Bottom line is, if you have around 19 ohms on the element and voltage from terminal to terminal then it is heating. No ohm reading (infinity, open circuit) or a very high one (3kw at 240v is about 19 ohms) it is a bad element.

There are many things that might cause the heater to turn off, but then you would have no voltage at the heater terminals. So you need to determine how long it is staying on, and why it is turning off. Are there any errors on the display?

Post pics of the circuit board, wiring diagram, and equipment area.

• Like 1

Hi will do (its not turning off) randomly checked yesterday and had 240v to terminals at all times - no heat increase at all, I'm in Australia so we are 240v.  have only checked resistance in old unit (19 ohms) will check new unit asap , thanks for your help