High Ph....help

catsnewwife

Our hot tub (860 litres) has been going for two weeks now, and I cannot get the PH to go down! Our city water is 7.6 to 8.1, but no matter how much PH Minus I add, I don't get any change. Our Chlorine has been high to non-existant, our ALK is fine, but PH always is reading too high. Should I care (as my exema itches more and more) or what? I'm getting very discouraged with the $5000 toy we have in the backyard...

Is your tester bad? Maybe you should try a different brand tester or test strips. Or possibly it might not go down because the city may put a buffer in the water in order to maintain a constant PH. Your city would know. As long as your PH isnt to high its not that big of a deal. Just do your best to keep it constant

I found that I had metals and minerals that were interfering with the pH reading. Once I was able to decrease that with a mineral minus chemical than my pH came down and stabilized. I was amazed as to how much pH decreaser I had to add to bring it down. My local spa guy became my best friend during this process of testing using a spectrophotometer to test the water. I also kept a log so that when I have to refill my water, I have something to refer to. I have well water that is quite hard, high iron and sulfur content. I fussed with my 24/7 help line but found the local guy has helped me more. Good Luck. It is well workth it. I am a new at this and am using Brilliance.

Our hot tub (860 litres) has been going for two weeks now, and I cannot get the PH to go down! Our city water is 7.6 to 8.1, but no matter how much PH Minus I add, I don't get any change. Our Chlorine has been high to non-existant, our ALK is fine, but PH always is reading too high. Should I care (as my exema itches more and more) or what? I'm getting very discouraged with the $5000 toy we have in the backyard...

First question: when are you checking the pH? If you're checking the pH right after you've used the tub or have had the bubbles or high speed jets on (up to about 1 hr. BEFORE testing), you're not getting an accurate reading. The bubbles & turbulence in the water release carbon dioxide into the water. The carbon dioxide then drives the pH up, artificially. Bad reading. We always tell our customers to test the water BEFORE turning on the jets.

Water imbalance will almost always cause extra skin irritation. I've got a bit of psoriasis on my legs & I can always tell when a spa is out of balance. Plus, the hot water doesn't aid the "drying" out of your skin either.

Good luck.