Hot tub pump shuts off after an hour or so of use.

Fitz2380

I have a Dimension 1 Hot tub purchased in 2016.  This model has two separate pump motors.   On two occasions recently, one of the pump motors (the same one) has shut down after an hour maybe of operation.  I was not in it either time.  Once the motor shuts down it will not turn back on at that time.  The next day however, the pump will run.  I have not tried to determine amount of time that it takes for it to trip off.  I assume the motor is tripping due to heating but not sure.  I am wondering if there is a way to further test this or just run until it decides to quit totally.  

Any input would be great.  

I have not seen any errors on the panel.  The display indicates the pump is running although it is not.  I recently cleaned the filters a couple of months ago, but have not replaced the filters ever.  I may pursue this first. 

This is a Dimension 1 Reflections Chairman hot tub.   Does anyone know how the circulation works on this hot tub?  Are one of the 2 main pumps used for this?  

6 minutes ago, Fitz2380 said:

I recently cleaned the filters a couple of months ago, but have not replaced the filters ever. 

I recommend cleaning filters monthly and replace yearly. Pump 1 is on the filter and could overheat from a clogged filter.

Usually D1 has a 24/7 circulation pump. Post a pic of the equipment area and circuit board.

There are two filters and two pumps plus as you added a circulation pump which runs 24x7.  Although I am thinking the circulation pump may not be running 24x7 now either.  I monitor the electrical usage and note that it drops below 50 watts at times.  I will have to follow up on that as well. 

Attached pictures: 

PXL_20210625_172915225.jpg

PXL_20210625_172923282.jpg

PXL_20210625_172928741.jpg

There are no vents to the outside.  There is a fan that runs in behind the circuit board that runs so I assume that is trying to remove heat or bring in air.  This side of the hot tub does face west so gets a lot of heat in the afternoon.  I was running the pumps this morning when doing my chemicals and the pump shut off again after about 30 minutes. 

The sun was not shining on that side of the tub and the temperature was probably around 80 at that time. 

16 hours ago, Fitz2380 said:

Does anyone know how the circulation works on this hot tub?  Are one of the 2 main pumps used for this?  

No, it has a 24 hour circulation pump on a filter. The main pump is also on a filter as well as a footwell suction.

10 hours ago, Fitz2380 said:

I am thinking the circulation pump may not be running 24x7 now either.

Need to find out. A clogged filter can cause this, too, but will damage the pump much faster than it will the main pump. It will also shut off if the spa temp is higher than the set temp.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

We have been a bit busy and not been able to utilize the hot tub much since my original posts.  However, last night we were in the hot tub and this is what I noticed.  

Almost exactly 30 minutes after turning on Pump 1, the pump shut off.  I could not turn the pump back on.  When I check the panel, it shows the pump running and I can cycle the pump using the panel and the indication is that I am cycling between off/slow/high but the pump does not turn back on.  After about 50 minutes, the pump must have still been in the on position and it started up again.  

My wife and I recall the pump or pumps shutting off after about 30 minutes when we first got the hot tub, but we believe we just turned them back on.  We always assumed there was a timeout feature for the pumps.  However, we are not 100% sure of all this and don't recall if both pumps did this and if both pumps would be turned back on.  

Since my last post, I did replace the filters so I do not feel it is a flow issue if that is what may cause the pump from shutting off.  I do not get any error condition in maintenance log feature available from the panel.  

Again I am trying to determine what might cause this issue or is this some normal feature of the hot tub.  

I attempted to message RDspaguy directly but I was blocked by the SiteLock tool with an error code of 15.  I did locate the circulation pump and his response with regards to its operation makes sense.   It appears to be operating correctly.  So my real question is if the operation of the two main pumps are designed to turn off after a period of time or is this some other issue. 

Hey thanks for the response.   

After the pump turned off, we could not turn it back on via the remote button or the control panel.  The pump indicator on the panel shows the pump running both hi and low indication even though it is not.  

I understand.  I will measure the voltage to see if the controller has disabled the pump or the pump itself has tripped. 

Do you know roughly how long a pump will stay off before it resets if it has tripped? I am sure that is due to temperature and would depend on outside temperature as well so maybe not a valid question. 

We are currently at 16 degrees today but hopefully it will get a bit warmer this week so I can test the above suggestion. 

• Like 1

I was able to test this issue a bit more although I was not able to take power readings at the pump yet.... another crappy cold day here.  

Both pumps do turn off after 30 minutes exactly which must be the design for this hot tub.  I was able to turn them back on with the panel but the one pump shut off about one minute after turning on and could not be turned back on with the panel.  I was able to shoot the temperature of the casing of the motors, and the one that would not turn back on registered around 220 degrees and the other one registered around 170 degrees.  

My water temperature in this 30 minute period of running both pumps went from 97 to 104 degrees.  I have a thermometer in the water to so I know the reading is correct.  I would not expect this much rise in temperature just from pumps running for 30 minutes.  Does that seem right? 

If you have compressed air you could try with power OFF to tub  blowing out the pump motor

I had a pump on my  sundance altamar that was shutting off same as yours  I used my air compressor to blow out the motor and all kinds of junk came out (leaves, insulation ect)  and after that it never did it again

cost you nothing but 10 mins of your time to try f you have a compressor 

On 12/10/2021 at 4:42 PM, Fitz2380 said:

My water temperature in this 30 minute period of running both pumps went from 97 to 104 degrees. 

How big is your spa? This exceeds the heat output of a 5.5kw spa heater in any but the smallest spa, and is highly unlikely to be related to your pumps. But a hot pump will trip the thermal cutout and not run until it has cooled. Overheating pumps can be from voltage or relay issues, bad internal motor parts, drag (as from a rusted shaft and cracked impeller), or even a flow restriction (like a dirty filter). 

If forced to guess, I'd say it's a pump problem, but if there I'd sure test the power before I bought a pump.

• Like 1

My hot tub is around 400 gallons and I do not understand the rise in temperature either.  I have a meter that monitors the hot tub and I can see when the heater is on vs the pumps.  So during that time I was running the pumps the heater was not running and shouldn't have been since the temperature setting was set to 90 degrees.  Each pump uses roughly 2900 watts when running ( I know it doesn't provide amps but around 13 amps).  

Yes I will test the power going to the pump to make sure there are not voltage issues.  I will look around to see if there are any other obvious plugged cooling or etc that might create the hot pump. 

Are these motors and pumps a single unit or is the pump a separate piece that could be disassembled?  

• 8 months later...

Hi Fitz2380, 

I realize this thread has been inactive awhile but was wondering if you ever found a solution. I have a D1 tub and have the exact same issue except it’s pump #3. Runs for about 2 timer cycles then pump 3 shuts off and will not restart until sometime later. Usually the next day. The control panel shows no errors, howler does show the pump as “running” when it is not. I suspected a pump overheat  issue of some kind and was curious if you ever figured out your pump problem. 

Grnded, 

Unfortunately I have not been able to follow up on this yet.  The hot tub was down most of this summer due to a leak at the circulation pump which drained the water and the circulation pump failed... I just replaced the circulation pump about a week ago so back up and running.   Hopefully in a couple of weeks or so I can look further into my issue as we will be using the tub a lot more soon. 

• 9 months later...

Hi Fitz2380,

I have the same issue. Hoping you have had a breakthrough lol.

I have a brand new spa (400gallon), 2 pump system. Pump 1 is a 2 speed, pump 2 is off or on with a high speed or off. My pump 1 works great and has never failed. My pump 2 will work for a while and stop pumping or making noise after 30 minutes or so. (I’m not talking about the automatic timer that stops it). Pump 1 will still be running on high but 2 just goes silent. It still shows on the electric panel that it’s still on but clearly not. I can turn it off and on and it’s says so on the panel. No error codes. The panel has no clue that anything is amiss. After about an hour or 2 it will work normal again and then repeat.  I have correct voltage coming to the hot tub. 220volt, 6 gauge (4 wires) from breaker to sub panel and to hot tub. The only thing I can come to a definitive answer is the pump is overheating. This hot tub is 4 days old and it’s great when it works. Luckily pump 1 runs half the jets and I can still use that side of the tub when pump 2 fails and the other half of the tub jets are nonexistent.  it’s been nice to read all of your comments on this thread and it all makes 100 percent sense. This may be too late for you to see or even look at again but if you do respond and have an answer, I’d greatly appreciate anymore insight.