Trap Door-access panel for hot tub in interlock deck

tanyaB

HI,

We are building a raised interlock deck in our back yard and will be placing our current 7.5 ' x 7.8 ' hot tub in the centre of the deck. Does anyone have any experience building a trap door to access the one side of the hot tub where the access panel is? I have seen the trap doors built into wood decks, but never something that would work with an interlock patio. Please let me know any of your ideas. Thanks

• 4 months later...

Sinking a spa into a deck is always a bad idea in my book. How do you get in...get down on your hands and knees in the snow. Can't use a cover lift in most cases. Not having access to 3 sides is a REALLY bad idea and could be an expensive one if you ever have issue.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 8:36 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Not having access to 3 sides is a REALLY bad idea and could be an expensive one if you ever have issue.

Totally agree, all four sides of the spa should be easily accessible in the event the spa needs to be serviced. 

Decades ago I had a friend who's dad built a house and put a top of the line Jacuzzi into a "vault" in the patio (literally built the room around the spa).   Story goes the tub started leaking after several years, no repairs were possible and no way to remove/replace the tub with a new one.  So they boarded up the tub with hardwood flooring.  Legends say that tub is still sitting in it's crypt three decades later.

• Haha 1

I routinely have spas in decks without relief panels built in with leaks or #2 pumps are not always along the front and get the question "how much"... " Well first I will have to make a service call and spend an hour of time disconnecting the electrical from the spa $120 and then I will call the movers and book them in to get it out of the deck $200-$400 and they will also have to come back a second time to place it back into the deck $2-400 once the repair is made but we don't know what needs to be repaired at this point so before I can quote the repair you will be in for between $520-$920 then we can quote the repair once I can get the side panels off and see what's going on. All this might take several weeks depending on how busy the movers are and if you live in say Canada and it's January you don't have several weeks. Even spas up against walls can create problems and require extra help ($$) to move. Had one 2 weeks ago and the repair was a mouse chewed through a 3/8" air line. Spliced in a new section. Cost $3.00. Total cost for the job $640.00 and 10 days. Just say'n

• Thanks 1