Hayward Salt Chlorinator install with Pentair Whisper-Flo VSP

The instructions for wiring a Hayward Salt Chlorinator (SwimPure Extreme) show connecting the black and white wires to the load side of the pump timer.  That makes sense and would be easy, except I don't have a standalone timer.  I have a Pentair WhisperFlo variable speed pump hard wired into a circuit breaker and the pump has it's own timer built in.  I understand the Hayward salt chlorinator should only be able to operate when the pump is on. I am looking for advice on how to wire this setup.  I could hard wire it into the circuit breaker except it would then always be on and I don't want that.  I am not sure that I could wire it through the pump such that it would only have power based on the when the pump's timer turned on.  I could isntall a standalone timer and set it on the same time sequencing as the pump, but that doesn't seem ideal either.  Any thoughts? Thanks, Tyler 

Ultimately, you are trying to prevent the cell from running if the pump is not, as this creates a dangerous and damaging situation. The cell has a built in flow switch, but these can fail, as can pumps. Each (flow switch and timer) is a redundant safety for the other. But even this can fail, as a flow switch faulting closed may go unnoticed, and if you lose prime on the pump you have problems.

For this reason I recommend the use of an independent inline flow switch, even with a timer, or a digital control system (intellitouch, goldline, compool, etc.).

@Pool Clown, @jimmythegreek, you guys see alot more of these than I. Anything to add?

Considering the need to have the pump running while the salt chlorinator is operating it seems I need to either (i) determine if I can run it off the pump's timer (this would ensure the two systems are synched), or (ii) get a standard timer, power the salt chlorinator through it, and synch it to pump's timer.   In theory the latter works, but it seems like two different timer systems creates a potential fail point.   I'm hoping there's a better option.   Thanks for thinking and sharing thoughts on this.   

Thanks for the response.  The Pentair is a SuperFlo VSP (1.5Hp) model that was already installed.   I'm adding the Hayward which seems to be a good product and I felt good about the price.   The pump works well, but it doesn't appear to have any type of auxiliary output control (except there is some aspect of it set up for a larger control configuration - a bit beyond my DIY level and I don't think on point for my issue).   I'm thinking beat option is to connect the SCG to an Intermatic timer and set it on the same schedule the pump timer operates on.   I picked up.a digital one that has battery backup because the mechanical ones reset to 12:00am.every time there's a brief power outage and that would create problems for knocking the two systems out of sync.