Arctic Yukon no heat, problem identified.

As posted in my other thread, now that I've got the heater and plumbing re-assembled, it's time to find the initial cause of no heat.

The connector looked pretty bad, but the new heater gets wired directly so we can eliminate that.

After determining that the heater relay is fine (bench tested) and the controller was indeed turning the relay on, that didn't leave much else other than a burnt trace on controller PCB.

I removed the controller, and the solder side looked ok, other than one terminal of the high limit 2 relay looking sketchy. I removed the relay to reveal the component side pad/thru hole is very much toast.

Definitely no connectivity from the hole to the trace.  I guess the proper way to repair it will be to drill it out, and epoxy in a proper sized copper eyelet, the type made for PCB repair. I suppose I could connect an appropriately sized wire to the unused J8 on the same component-side trace, run it to the bottom of the board, fasten  securely with a heat tolerant  epoxy, and solder to the relay pin.

1O6A3910a.jpg

1O6A3917a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Success!  After cleaning up the area, the through-hole was still intact and I was able to reconnect it to the copper trace.

Continuity verified after installing the relay, but I also added a wire on the solder side just in case.  I did replace the relay even though it didn't show any signs of a problem, since it was available locally and under $7.00 it was a no-brainer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update:

All is well. Hot tub is working great.  Had to replace the neck jet valve, as it broke.

I still need to to some cabinet maintenance sand/stain, and I'm probably due for a new cover (7 year old hottubcoverscanada cover) It's tearing in multiple spots and gaining weight. 

Did an Ahhsome purge, got some gunk out, not as much as I expected. Will do another one in 6 months.

Hopefully that's it for a while.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:56 PM, The_Penguin said:

Did an Ahhsome purge, got some gunk out, not as much as I expected. Will do another one in 6 months.

I always check pH levels and toss in some extra chlorine before purging, this seems to help. 

Also, unlike the instructions, I run my jets for 20 minutes and then off for 10 while cleaning gunk settling on the water line.  Then I run jets for another 20.  Repeat cleaning and running jets over and over for 4-5+ cycles until there's *no* more gunk coming out of the plumbing.  

• 1 year later...
On 10/3/2021 at 10:56 AM, The_Penguin said:

Update:

All is well. Hot tub is working great. 

Hopefully that's it for a while.

Well, it worked for almost 2 years.

Part 2 here:

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/58341-arctic-spa-yukon-hose-unglued/&do=findComment&comment=224298