Troubleshooting Dead Balboa VS510SZ

TeeBone

This unit was acting up end of last season and again upon startup this season giving ECN message on topside. Now it has stopped working altogether. No display on the topside panel. Checked and the unit is getting power. Ordered a new topside controller and it does not come on. Do I need to replace the main board?

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

Pulled the fuses and the glass ones have unbroken filaments, tested the white ones for continuity and they are fine. Planning on pulling the board and I'm thinking that's the only other thing it can be, correct? Confused as to how the board would go bad....power surge maybe? It is an old tub, but how do I know if I install a new one the same thing won't happen?

Relays are a wear item and can fail but in most cases are repairable. I use a electronics expert although it can be done if you have the right tools and some knowledge on soldering. Remove the board first and assess if there is any damage on the back. Post photos of the back and we'll let you know what's possible if there is damage.

• Like 2

So the pic of the board I sent in my original post was taken before the unit crapped out. When I went to remove the board I noticed one of the heater leads is all charred? Is this electrical or heat related? The tub did have some minor leaking and I forgot to check on it for a day or so and when I opened the cover the water was really low so the thing was running with no water circulating for a while. Did it get too hot and melt the board?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Heat is the cause, either from the heater running with air in the tube or a loose or worn electrical connection. So, which came first, the chicken or the egg? All that really matters is that you need a board and heater, and have to fix that leak.

I recommend a new control system under these circumstances.

• Like 1

Given the appearance of the copper strip it was bolted to, I would replace it. But it's up to you.

https://www.spadepot.com/Balboa-Spa-Circuit-Board-VS510SZ-54372-03-P2612

https://www.spadepot.com/Universal-Flo-Thru-Spa-Heater-Element-10in-P772

Circuit board and heater, approx $350.

https://www.spadepot.com/Balboa-VS-Spa-Control-Kit-P3185

New control pack, including topside and sensors, $430.

Just saying...

• Like 2