Water hardness

I have recently filled my hot tub up with well water. I have access to soft water but everything I read said to use I softened water. Now my water hardness is through the roof. I’m looking at websites saying the only way to bring it down is by draining and filling with soft water. What is everyone doing to lower the water hardness or should I just use softened water to begin with?

No way to lower the calcium hardness of the water without using an ion exchange resin (which is what your water softener does). The calcium can be chelated with a metal sequestrant but that would require adding a weekly dose and it does not remove the calcium, only temporarily make it chemically non reactive so it does not precipitate out as scale.

It is MUCH better to fill wilth soft water if it is available to you and then bump up the calcium hardness to around 120 to maybe 150 ppm to minimize foaming. (Very soft water is more prone to foaming because of organics in the water (from bathers) than slightly harder water.)

2 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

I have no trouble as long as I keep my ph in line

and that's the kicker!  pH in tubs is constantly on the rise because of the amount of aeration. I'm in N. Fl. and even city water has a CH of 600 or greater in most areas. I fill with soft water and don't have any problems. ;)