Moving hot tub 12 feet. Electrical help?

Hi! We recently moved into a house that has a Bullfrog A9L hot tub on the back patio. The problem is that it is right smack in front of you when you walk out the back door. We would like to move it back 10-12 feet, and to the left about 10 feet. It’s all concrete, so it should be pretty straightforward. I’ve found information on draining it, and the logistics of actually moving it, but what do I do about extending the electric hook-up? We didn’t do the electrical connections ourselves since we inherited it, so we don’t have the first clue about it. We have the 220-volt breaker box on the side of the house just a few feet from the tub. If we move the tub several feet, where/how do we buy longer cords? It seems to be the exact length it needs for where it sits right now. Do we need to have an electrician come and do it, or is it something we can do ourselves? Any other things we need to be aware of if we move it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is the breaker box also your Spa disconnect? I suspect yes, but need to make sure.

You most likely have seal tight going from the box to the tubs spa pack. This will need to be either replaced or add a coupler and extend it with more seal tight. It's probably easier to buy new seal tight and salvage the fittings. You can't splice the power wires in the seal tight but you could add a weatherproof 4x4 box and splice in that if you can mount it someplace. 

How I would do this is buy the required seal tight to replace the run to the new location, buy enough 6-3 romex to go from the panel to the spa pack and wire it up. All of this is available at Lowes.

Can you do this yourself? Yes, if you know what you are doing. If you are not comfortable working with 220V, hire an electrician. It's actually a small job, which might make it harder to get someone and shouldn't cost more than $200-$300 bucks (depending on how much wire/seal tight you need). I ran all my own electric and my install required a 60' run from the main panel (where the 60A GFCI is) to the spa disconnect and then 20' of seal tight from the disconnect to the spa pack. I'm very comfortable with household wiring so it was no big deal. It's all to code and inspected.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cranbiz said:

all to code and inspected.

There's the catch. In some places the homeowner is permitted to do this type of work on their own home, but in others you have to get a licensed electrician. As this can affect your occupancy permit and interfere with the sale of your home, as well as potentially cause the denial of any insurance claim resulting from this work, I would recommend you check with your municipality and insurance carrier.

• Like 2

In my state, the homeowner is allowed to do electrical work in his premise but a permit for add/modify is needed (legally) . In my case, I know the inspector personally so I did pull a permit and had him come over and inspect things. Like @RDspaguysaid, this covers me insurance wise and legally as far as my county is concerned.

• Like 2