Breaker Tripping

Two weeks ago I replaced my spa pack.  Everything worked great since then.  Now my breaker is tripping when it runs for 10 minutes, or if I turn my jets on high, or turn on the other jet pump.  The tub is new to me, so all the wiring and breakers are new.  I am using a 50 amp GFCI at service panel and installed a spade type disconnect outdoors.  I have unplugged the lights and ozone to make sure that is not the issue with no results.  Has anyone had a motor to start to fail, yet still runs for a short time before kicking the breaker?  The two motors are the only thing that has not been replaced but has worked the last 2 weeks.  Any advice would be appreciated.

A few more details on my last post, this unit has 2 240V jet motors, and no circulation pump.  When I plugged pump 1 into pump 2 connection on board, the pump would not run, it was trying but did not run. I am unsure if the wiring for pump 1 and 2 are the same, but when pump one is plugged into pump one spot it seems to have no issues starting up.  The heater turns on and all looks good. Within a few minutes after heater turns on breaker trips.

So yesterday I drained tub because water was nasty, went out this morning filled up and tried it, seems to be holding fine now. I did not make any changes just wanted to get an amp clamp on motor. Has been running for over twenty minutes with no tripped breaker. This doesn’t make sense.

10 hours ago, moeoberlin said:

this unit has 2 240V jet motors

Please verify. The schematic says 120V pumps. If they are 120V pumps you need to move the white wires that currently go from W1 and W7 to RED AC up to the White AC bank top left of the circuit board J11 and J15 or any of the open spots there in that row. White wires attached to Red AC powers 240V components and White wires attached to White AC powers 120V components. 

Also post phots of the the little red box bottom right of the board marked Switchbank A

• Like 1

You have pump # 2 (looks to be 2 speed wire) plugged into the blower output. If you look along the top edge of the schematic it says for pump # 2 at J17/26 (blower) move black wire W3 from J 46 over to J 62 (Black AC) Give that a try and let us know results.

• Like 1

I have moved dip switch A10 to the on position and it has ran for an hour and a half without tripping my breaker. Thank you for the replies, you just saved me from unnecessarily buying a new motor. I am still unclear why it worked for two weeks before this became an issue. Any ideas what would cause this to be a problem 2 weeks into running? Could this be a sign that my pump motor is drawing more amperage on my pump because of another issue? Just curious. Thanks again to all that helped

38 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

You have pump # 2 (looks to be 2 speed wire) plugged into the blower output. If you look along the top edge of the schematic it says for pump # 2 at J17/26 (blower) move black wire W3 from J 46 over to J 62 (Black AC) Give that a try and let us know results.

4 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

@RDspaguy you don't think it will run in High amp mode? or is it to close to 50 total amp to be run that way safely.

I just read the notes beneath the dipswitch table.

3 hours ago, moeoberlin said:

Any ideas what would cause this to be a problem 2 weeks into running?

Loose connection at the breaker.

Failing breaker.

Failing breaker next to the spa breaker.

The chance that the heater wasn't on when you ran the pumps.

Improper voltage to pump.

Leak on the equipment when under pressure that has stopped up from scale, blockage, or warm water expanding the pipes.

Increased ambient air temp or sunshine on the breaker box.

The list goes on. Hopefully this solves the problem and we don't have to figure out why.😉

• Like 1

The problem came back, tub ran for 24 hours like it should. I turned the pump up to high speed and tripped breaker. Motor was noticeably warm to touch. Breaker would not reset the rest of the day. I wanted to see if the issue was high amperage or ground fault so I used a normal 50 amp breaker to see if it would run. It runs fine without gfci. I feel like it’s a motor issue but I would hate to buy a new pump and have the same issue. The pump turns easily but I think I may have a ground fault in the motor. With the breaker tripping at so many different run times it is hard to pin down the issue. If I unplug pump 1 it will not trip any breakers.

@moeoberlin

On 5/30/2021 at 9:31 PM, moeoberlin said:

When I plugged pump 1 into pump 2 connection on board, the pump would not run, it was trying but did not run.

On 5/31/2021 at 5:02 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

2 x I have posted this...Did you make the change as directed?

What was result? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, moeoberlin said:

Breaker would not reset the rest of the day.

Would it reset if you unplugged the motor? It is sounding like a bad breaker to me. Running fine for a day in low pump 1 with heater, then trips with high speed. Then won't reset for hours. Does the breaker feel warm to the touch?

I think I may have a ground fault in the motor.

It would trip in low too.

. Motor was noticeably warm to touch.

Normal. Too hot to touch might be a problem.