High limit sensor for Arctic Spa Yukon

Hi all. It seems I've stumbled upon an oasis of hot tub knowledge, so I have some questions.

Long story, will share later with my additional questions, but I'm in need of a high-limit sensor for my Arctic Yukon.

I have found a lot of potential replacements on-line, but I don't really know how to tell which ones are compatible.  There are no markings on the remains (told you. long story..) of the sensor, nor on a label on the wire anywhere.  Any suggestions what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance. 

Why do you think you need a high limit probe? 

https://arctichottubparts.com/en/electrical/spa-paks/probes-and-wires/global-gecko-hi-limit-probe.html

Everything about that board screams Gecko. I would give Gecko Depot a call and verify what one is needed. 

https://www.geckodepot.com/Produit/Listeproduit.aspx?IdCat=794

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Why do you think you need a high limit probe? 

The old one pretty much melted.  While troubleshooting a no heat issue, me and a buddy tested by disconnecting the heater and plugging it in to a 120V outlet. With pump 1 running.  Reasonably safe test...   

We should have quit at seeing a 10A draw on the heater, and feeling some heat.  But nooo.  The mistake was setting the topside control to 62, and briefly leaving it unattended. Up to then it had been safe careful testing, but that was a major blunder.

I know what you're all thinking.... When it hits 62, the controller will turn off the pump, and think it turned off the heater.  Yep. With the  pump off, the heater, directly connected to 120V even at half power got a little hot. Melted the union and gasket on one end, and the high limit sensor. The metal part of the sensor stayed on the heater, and the innards and wire fell out. The heater started leaking current to ground (or could have been water pouring out of the melted union) and tripped the GFCI outlet it was plugged into, probably saving more damage/fire, although we did come back out probably soon after. 

So, once the new heater arrives, and I replace the union and get it back together, I'll need a high limit sensor.

Then I can continue to figure out why the controller isn't sending 220v to the heater (no it's not the relay).

I'll start another thread for that one. 

Thanks for the links, I'll check it out further.

• 1 month later...

Of all the dealers I queried, of the ones who actually replied, none would commit to having the correct part for my hot tub. So I took a chance and ordered one for the closest-looking control board from the same place I got my replacement pump from.

Got it today. Tested by placing it in a water bath heated by a Sous Vide heater and monitored by the Sous Vide unit, and a known accurate thermometer. Repeatable test result was that the controller shuts down with HL code consistently at 122 degrees F.

Seemed a tiny bit high from my reading about HL sensors having a threshold of 115 ish, but seems to me it's still a reasonable and safe threshold.