Hot tub not heating.

My heater died early last month. Kept tripping the electrics. I have since replaced this with the exact same heater (LX H30-R1). The hot tub stopped tripping the electrics but no heat was been produced. Tried 3 heaters now (including one from local repair mechanic) 

the heater is pulling 240v however it is not drawing any amps at all and still no heat. Circulation pump still working fine and not air locks.

please help, could this be a PCB fault?

3 minutes ago, ciderjack said:

When you test for 240, are you testing across the posts on the heater?  Or just 120v to each post?

Heater getting 240v, but drawing 0 amps = bad element

Just 120v to each post. I’ve had the hot tub mechanic round and he has tried to repair/fault find it and states ‘it’s getting power just no amps. He reckons an earth fault with the pcb but doesn’t know for sure

2 minutes ago, AddzyM96 said:

Just 120v to each post. I’ve had the hot tub mechanic round and he has tried to repair/fault find it and states ‘it’s getting power just no amps. He reckons an earth fault with the pcb but doesn’t know for sure

Also 3 heaters wouldn’t all have bad heating elements surely? 

1 hour ago, AddzyM96 said:

heater is pulling 240v however it is not drawing any amps

46 minutes ago, AddzyM96 said:

Just 120v to each post

That does not mean it's getting 240v.

44 minutes ago, AddzyM96 said:

Also 3 heaters wouldn’t all have bad heating elements surely?

Depends on where you got them. 

48 minutes ago, AddzyM96 said:

reckons an earth fault with the pcb but doesn’t know for sure

That makes no sense. Are you sure you are dealing with a pro SPA REPAIR guy, or is he perhaps a handyman, electrician, or "pro" bullshitter?

I'm betting you do not have 240v at the heater and you have a bad relay on the circuit board. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 10:23 AM, AddzyM96 said:

This doesn't sound correct.  Heaters are very simple things.  Is it getting 240v across the posts (not 120v and 120v)? 

If no, and the heater is supposed to be on, then the relay or board is bad.

If yes, check for amperage.  Is it drawing the correct amperage?

If yes, heater is working

If not, element is bad. 

It would also be good to get an Ohm reading on the element while the power is off. 

• Like 1