Hudson Bay Hot Tubs any Good?

I have a local guy who sources scratch and dent and refurb tubs and he periodically gets these in as part of his shipment.  The limited info I have found on them seems to be mixed (similar to the mixed reviews I see on Tuff Spas), so was just curious if anyone had any experience with them here so I can either give them a complete miss or consider them as an option since I am on very tight funds (about $3K max) and have very limited space (needs to fit on a 79 inch square leveling platform).  The used market in my area thus far has nothing but junk such as overpriced inflatables or big old 220 jobs that would cost a fortune to move, fix, and wouldn't fit anyways.   These are the tubs in question:  

https://hudsonbayspas.com/product-category/spas/

TL/DR - No.

HudsonBay spas is an LPI brand of spas.  They are a terrible company who builds budget-grade spas using the cheapest components possible - since they are a mail-order product they are also constructed with essentially zero insulation to reduce manufacturing and shipping costs.  When bought new (from sites like HomeDepot) they are extremely overpriced for what you're getting.

LPI is a terrible company, they sell the same products under multiple brand names to obfuscate the customer making it harder for you to read all the negative reviews on the company.   If you visit Hudsonbay's website, you'll notice they never once mention "LPI Inc" on their site.  That's intentional.  Head over to LPI's website and you'll see a list of their brands, and I'll be honest - they're all terrible low-grade products - https://lpiinc.com/shops/  (Note for anyone curious - Catalina spas WAS A good brand name in the 90's until LPI acquired the brand in 2016)

11 hours ago, Jesterrace said:

The used market in my area thus far has nothing but junk such as overpriced inflatables or big old 220 jobs that would cost a fortune to move, fix, and wouldn't fit anyways

That's because everything you're seeing has already been picked over by the pros and other desperate people shopping for a hottub.  Keep in mind professionals are also buying used tubs off the classifieds to flip/resell if there's a good enough profit in the deal for them.

If you want to find the best deals on used hottubs, you need to watch the listings daily and sort only by recently-added.  The BEST used spa deals sell in literally less than 24-48 hours, so you'll never see those listings (sellers take down the listing because they TOO many hits).

The trick is to watch for newly listed spas which you can see filled with water and working.  Then look up the brand and product line to figure out what tier/class it's in (most big name brands build multiple product tiers to fit every budget - sometimes these are bells/whistle changes, other times they are improvements under the hood to increase product lifespan - when buying used I'd personally be looking mostly at the flagship top-tiers from any brand to ensure you get the longest lifespan).   Also note - warranties do not transfer on used spas so don't pay 85%+ of retail pricing for a 10 month old spa!

All that said - hottubs require routine maintenance for proper operation.  Many people can't even maintain the filters in their vacuum cleaners, let alone water chemistry in a hottub.  For some, a hottub is an impulse purchase without realizing everything involved, soon enough they get bored and sell the spa to try and recoup some of their money back.  I see amazing deals pop up all the time in the classifieds (at least a few times a month, and I'm in a warm subtropical climate where there aren't too many spa owners!).   I have no doubt if you keep watching the market you'll find a nice spa from a name brand in your budget ($1k to $3k will definitely find you quality working hottub).  Just be ready to buy when you find what you're looking for because like I said - you're competing with professionals who do this for a living.

• Like 4

What @ratchettsaid!

Hudson Bay is the low end line of Leisure Products Inc. Their current offerings are Hudson Bay, Dr. Wellness and Catalina. When I was researching, I initially thought that a Dr. Wellness was one of my top choices due to size, features and price. I quickly found out that they were a LPI product, which I had owned one about 25 years ago and had bad experiences with. I also found out that the dealer in my area wouldn't allow my to look at the equipment area which was a red flag, Why wouldn't the dealer let me look? Because I would have found a poorly insulated tub with sub standard plumbing, proprietary parts, thin shell and Proprietary parts. This dealer didn't service their tubs either, they contracted out to any Spa tech that would take the job.

They are cheap for a reason. If you are on a budget and are willing to spend $3000-$5000 on a five year starter tub, then they are OK. You are much better off though, buying a top quality tub that will last 10-15 years or more, that are well insulated to mitigate heat loss, that are energy efficient with good warranty's from a reputable dealer as the dealer IS your lifeline.

Good used tubs are out there, you just have to be diligent and quick to move on one. Remember. always see a used tub full and running.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Where are you located? Can it be 220V or are you looking for 120V options only?

PNW Region of the USA.  120 only as I had a plug specifically wired for a 120 tub last year.  I could get an electrician to convert it to 220 I suppose but to me it seems a waste.  My problem is two-fold in that most tubs that pop up are the standard 6-8 person 220 jobs which don't work with my plug or the 79 inch leveling platform that I have in a 10X7 screen room.  I currently have an inflatable tub in there but am looking to get out from under a lot of the maintenance that they require and give the bubble/air jets a miss.  

If you want a clearer picture of the layout I have, I did this video here which includes both the leveling platform (which I already expanded from the original 72 inches it was) and the new fitted plug that I use now:  

Oh and FYI that is an actual concrete hot tub pad that it is built on top of.  Unfortunately the pad has developed a slope to it over nearly 30 years so the only cost effective solution was to build a wood leveling platform on top of it for the inflatable.   Hence my desire to stick with a small plug and play tub as the others are too big and would require a spendy rewiring job to boot.  That and most of the time it's just me in the tub (occasionally my 3 young kids go in for about 30 minutes but that's pretty much it).  

I get the size issue. Size constraints is the main reason that I have a 78"x84" Island Nevis instead of something larger.

I also understand the slope problem but that is easier to fix than you think. A couple of bags of self leveling cement with a quick wooden frame to allow the cement to do it's thing will fix the pad and give you more options for size. I had to do just that to my patio.

I know you don't want to spend a lot but you might just want to expand your budget a bit and look at an Artesian Island St. Kitts tub. It retails around $7500 (new, if you could find one used, that should be in your budget range) but it fits your size constraints, is a 110V tub that is convertible to 220V and by a quality manufacturer. It's the same dimensions and layout of my Nevis, which is actually a roomy tub, fits 3 adults very comfortably and 4 adults if you can squeeze together just a little bit. 5 Adults is possible but it will be cramped and all will be playing footsie, which could be fun, I guess. You and 3 kids will be just fine in it.

• Like 1

The only downside is that I basically have to pre-order and wait until near the end of the year to get it (due to the shortage).  Truth be told though I really don't mind as long as I get a decent tub and good quality service.  I imagine just about any decent tub would be a significant upgrade over my current inflatable.   I have been looking at the used market for the last few weeks and everything is overpriced (even worse it's selling at overpriced).  A 2018 Aquaterra (aka Costco Rotomold tub) just went for $2500 within 3 days and that was one of the better deals:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/221950262787318/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A7452d5aa-e3ed-42cb-8a06-6779ccecd80b

Yup, the more and more I think about it, I am leaning towards getting one of the entry level garden spas. It's no Hot Springs TX or XS (runs about $6900 new for the TX from my local dealer) but the odds of me lining up a solid used tub that is plug and play, fits within a 79 inch platform, is filled so I can see it in action, a decent price and lining up a moving company to get it in (has to fit through a 36 doorway and I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do it without damage) within a short turnaround seems like a real longshot at best.  

57 minutes ago, Jesterrace said:

It's no Hot Springs TX or XS (runs about $6900 new for the TX from my local dealer)

Jeez, I paid $8400 for my 110V Hotspring Highlife Jetsetter less than two years ago - that's a huge step up from the Hotspot line for only about 22% more in price

57 minutes ago, Jesterrace said:

but the odds of me lining up a solid used tub that is plug and play, fits within a 79 inch platform, is filled so I can see it in action, a decent price and lining up a moving company to get it in (has to fit through a 36 doorway and I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do it without damage) within a short turnaround seems like a real longshot at best.  

I think Aquaterra sells some spas which fit that size constraint - they're also watkins spas

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ratchett said:

Jeez, I paid $8400 for my 110V Hotspring Highlife Jetsetter less than two years ago - that's a huge step up from the Hotspot line for only about 22% more in price

I think Aquaterra sells some spas which fit that size constraint - they're also watkins spas

Yup, seen them.  There was one that popped up today on Craigslist but it was gone before I could even call on it.  Shame too as at just shy of $1K it would've been worth it even for a rotomold.  

As for the Hotspring Highlife, I didn't even ask but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a $9-$10K tub given the insane materials shortage that is going on right now.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cranbiz said:

There is nothing wrong with an Artesian manufactured tub. They are an excellent manufacturer and I'm absolutely loving mine and have no issues.

I agree. I was just pointing out it's jets aren't as powerful or have a moto-message type feature on the Garden Spas.  To me though that is a small price to pay for nearly $3K saved by the time you factor in the cover lifter etc. that my Artesian dealer offers.  The waiting will be arguably the biggest sacrifice as I will be months out on it.  

12 hours ago, Jesterrace said:

I agree. I was just pointing out it's jets aren't as powerful or have a moto-message type feature on the Garden Spas.  To me though that is a small price to pay for nearly $3K saved by the time you factor in the cover lifter etc. that my Artesian dealer offers.  The waiting will be arguably the biggest sacrifice as I will be months out on it.  

Unfortunately, if it's a new order, months out is an understatement. However, that its the same no matter who's tub you buy unless it's a piece of junk or one that someone got tired of waiting on and was cancelled. My friends tub, which was originally scheduled for a July delivery has slipped to the end of October. It was part of a December 2020 stocking order from Artesian.

Yup, there are trade off's but like you said, some of those features just are not worth it to some people. If they were, all tubs would have them.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 6:23 AM, cranbiz said:

Unfortunately, if it's a new order, months out is an understatement. However, that its the same no matter who's tub you buy unless it's a piece of junk or one that someone got tired of waiting on and was cancelled. My friends tub, which was originally scheduled for a July delivery has slipped to the end of October. It was part of a December 2020 stocking order from Artesian.

Yup, there are trade off's but like you said, some of those features just are not worth it to some people. If they were, all tubs would have them.

Agreed.  I know I am in for the long haul with just about any option I pick.  On the bright side it gives me time to really narrow down the best option for me.  Used would literally require me to take a month off of work just to watch the postings like a hawk and have a professional tub moving service on standby to ensure I don't miss out on what I want.  

I haven't been following this thread, as I have never heard of Hudson Bay. It seems you've moved past that, so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

On 5/27/2021 at 6:46 AM, ratchett said:

Many people can't even maintain the filters in their vacuum cleaners, let alone water chemistry in a hottub. 

🤣 👍

On 5/27/2021 at 7:54 AM, cranbiz said:

from a reputable dealer as the dealer IS your lifeline.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:51 AM, Jesterrace said:

quality service.

Yes!

On 5/29/2021 at 10:51 AM, Jesterrace said:

any decent tub would be a significant upgrade over my current inflatable. 

👍

On 5/30/2021 at 8:59 PM, Jesterrace said:

but the odds of me lining up a solid used tub that is plug and play, fits within a 79 inch platform, is filled so I can see it in action, a decent price and lining up a moving company to get it in (has to fit through a 36 doorway

😂That's funny. I have a tub that would fit. .

My advice is ALWAYS the same. A good dealer is more important by far than a good deal. We just had a thread from a guy with a nearly new tub who can't get the dealer to call him back about an led issue. He's about to VOID HIS WARRANTY by fixing it himself, and came here for advice. I advised an attorney, among other things... So shop dealers, not spas. A good dealer won't sell crap spas anyway.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I purchased my Hudson Bay hot tub in September 2023, it was delivered October 24 th, it was defective when delivered, a new pump was sent to me 4 days later, I called customer service twice, October 26 th and November1 st, still no call back on a date that someone will come out and install the pump, I was going to just hire a tech and pay him myself, the company said I can do that, bu they will only reimburse up to $150, I don't think I could  get one to show up for that amount, they are closed now for the weekend, I will give them a few days next week, if it isn't repaired, I guess I will just have to eat the loss.