How disconnect leaking 1998 Hot Spring Sovereign Moto Massage?

Living in SoCal I never thought about winterizing anything and just drained my spa (not winterizing it with a shop vac) for the winter since we weren't using it. Last year  it developed a leak in the back right, under the moto-massage jet area when I filled it in the spring. Well at least that is where the water is coming out from underneath. I read up and discovered the bad nipple issue many people have with the drain at the bottom of the jet housing. I pulled the side panels off expecting to find sopping wet foam but dry as a bone.  The leak is very slow, about 1 inch every 5-7 days but it keeps the patio wet around the spa.

I also discovered that the air line to the moto massage jet is cracked.

This spa is 24 years old so I'm  looking for the simplest/cheapest repair that will allow us to soak without leaking water onto the deck. I'm here because I'm not sure how to determine where to attack the issue. I was considering using water weld in the motomassage jet compartment at the drain hole and capping the 1/4 inch circulation line that runs from the pump area towards that area of the tub (there is only one 1/4 inch line I see so I'm assuming that is the right one). I guess I'll cap the air line as well-could that be the issue?

Spa is drained and dry from this years off season. What would you suggest I do first?

Thanks for your advice and experience.

The Moto-Massage drain leaks to my knowledge were only possibly an issue from 2009-2012 but I do not have any firsthand experience with 1990's Hot Spring. 

If you want to do the repair right it would involve putting the hot tub up on blocks and once it starts dripping from underneath follow the water back to the leak.  If you patio isn't perfectly level, the leak could be in a completely different area.

• Like 2

The 3/8 inch line that drains the motossage jet could connect to many points in the plumbing as well, so just plugging it off will probably not do you any good.

Most leaks are in the equipment area or drain fittings. Are you absolutely sure it's not just a shaft seal or drain cap o-ring?

• Like 1

thanks for your opinions. I looked online with a fresh eye on how to track down spa leaks. I have already tried food coloring without success - perhaps the leak is too slow to take up the coloring. The equipment bay is bone dry. No visible cracks in the shell. Is there something worth tweaking on the jets?

There was not a leak when I opened the drain in the fall, then there was a slow puddle under the moto massage corner when refilled in the spring. I'm assuming freeze damage (but again I'm a SoCal winter novice so maybe i'm wrong to jump to conclusions)  but it could also be age related. I did try Fix-A-Leak which may have helped for a few days but failed soon after.

I don't see anyone recommending a safe way to put a spa up on blocks and fill it. What procedure would you suggest, just putting large pavers under the bottom of the tub itself? I'd hate to break the tub by not supporting it correctly.... 

20201124_115148_1.thumb.jpg.044e24c3b5c7954d07a38fa6c02bc273.jpg

Stand spa on it's side. Place 2 double stacks of cinder blocks to line up under the footwell at the frame baseboards. Lower spa onto blocks. Then support sides/corners using blocks/boards/shims to the level of the spa resting on the footwell blocks. Do not block sides/corners higher than footwell.

20201120_162351.thumb.jpg.32019184e74f4376623379e765e87953.jpg

Here you can see where some plumbing drain hoses (including perhaps the motosagge)come together at the drain fitting.

20201101_174549.thumb.jpg.0f39b68f82af436804b72a8893ca0458.jpg20201101_175319.thumb.jpg.b04b9546c0a47bb2ababb3ef282abc2f.jpg

Just some examples of the depth some of those pipes are buried inside of the foam.

RDSpaGuy. Respect... That was one heck of a task you took on there. I've been fighting my spa-found a leak in the barbed fitting in the WaveMaster that was putting water into the equipment bay. Got that sorted and finally realized that after the fix the new water in the bay seems to be coming up from the foam through the holes under the circulation pump. I did end up putting water weld in the motomassage bay and clamping off the 1/4 inch circ line and the leak is still happening so I think you guys were correct in suggesting that I expand the search for the leak. Light fixture seems dry so looks like foam will need to be dug out.

I'm traveling for a few days then will refill and see if I can narrow things down before putting it up. Is it safe/ok to leave it on its side while working on the foam? From the other thread it sounds like a pressure washer is the tool of choice to knock out the foam.

Once I get more info I'll start a fresh thread if I confirm the leak is not at the motomassage.