Spa Pump Amps

Hi Everyone, 

I have the below 2 pumps (pics attached), One is a 2 speed. Can anyone tell me the hp? I tried looking up the specs one appears to be 12 amps. The other just has a SPA rating. It seems from reading the manufactures over state the rating. It has a 5hp pump mated to it but I dont think these are 5hp motors. Not sure if that can cause any issues?20210517_115809.thumb.jpg.77638e6475c0e960c436340e75ade980.jpg20210517_115821.thumb.jpg.463ff91c646d2925d104e68573ec126f.jpg

The GE @ 12 amp would be a 4 hp. Would need to see the wet end to identify MFG

The Emerson @ 16.4 would be a 5 Hp This is likely a Waterway wet end but would need to see it to verify 100%

Would also need to see the wet ends to identify the plumbing connection size 2" in x 2" out or 2.5" in 2" out

• Like 1

Thanks! So both wet ends were a 5hp aqua flow. I took apart the wet end to replace the seales and the impeller is stamped 5hp also. So I have 2 questions

1. As the 4hp motor had a 5hp wet end/ impeller should I keep that the same or buy a 4hp impeller? Is there a reason it had a 5hp impleller?

2. On the Emerson what is SF amps? Is it the same as amps? Or is that it's max potential which means it's normal running amps is less? 

5 hours ago, Endlesssumer said:

Is it the same as amps?

yes

5 hours ago, Endlesssumer said:

both wet ends were a 5hp aqua flow.

Don't think they make a 5hp

See attached: Start at page 100 and flip through all pages until 117 you will find the information you seek. 

http://elmsalesandequipment.com/product-catalogue.htm

• Like 1

Thanks I will take a look. Maybe it's not an aquaflow then. However it is a 5hp wet end. It is marked 5hp in a few places. On the 4hp pump should I keep the 5hp impeller or should I downgrade it to 4hp in order to match the motors HP? Not sure if there would have been a reasons to have the mistmarch?

Small HP stickers on pumps have little meaning. I have 12 amp pumps that have 3,4 and/or 5 hp stickers slapped on them. I have impellers that have 3,4 and 5 HP imprinted on the same impeller. Hi speed AMP draw is the best way to decipher...or measure the impeller "blade" width. Wider the blade the higher the hp

Post photos of the wet ends. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the insight. Well looking closely at the impeller I now see like you mention it lists multiple hp ratings. However one impeller width is smaller. 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8. On the smaller one it is also stamped 4hp on the inside. So that answers my question. Looks like it already had the correct impeller for the 4 hp

20210523_084302.jpg

20210523_084314.jpg

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Post photos of the wet ends. 

Still not getting what I'm asking for. We do this for free and on our own time. Trying to help you. Please follow direction. If I have to ask a 4th time...I'm out.

9 hours ago, Endlesssumer said:

So both wet ends were a 5hp aqua flow

Aqua Flow impellers are different part numbers from Waterway impellers part numbers. I see Waterway impellers. 

They also use a different seal. Look in the Catalogue I posted a link to.

• Like 1