Setting up old Solana Spa TX. Temperature setting but not displaying (or heating)

ajmd49

I just picked up this old hot tub. Filled it up, ran a cleaning cycle and set the temperature to 104, then 85.

When I set the temperature the read out will display as expected, then goes blank after ~ 30 seconds. I don't think this is expected behavior - I'm expecting the display to read the set temperature, then display whatever the actual temperature of the tub is.

More importantly, I don't think the tub is actually heating. I took a look at the control panel and the heater light will come on when the jets are low, but not in any other scenario. Even when the light is on I don't think this is actually heating.

That'd be great if I'm misunderstanding the process and it's working as expected. But I've had it plugged in about 2 hours now with the cover on - temperature feels the same

Here are relevant pics: https://imgur.com/a/tgkN1T3

All scenarios

Green "LIM OK" light on

Set temp displays then screen goes blank

Jets off

"HTR ON" light is off.

Jets low

"D17" light is on

"HTR ON" light is on (still no temp read out)

Jets high

"D17" light is on

"HTR ON" light is off

A couple of observations... 120V spas will take 4x longer to heat then a 240V spa so you might just need a bit of patients. I see 120V spas that can take up to 36+ hours to heat from a fresh refill starting out at say 50 degrees. In a lot of 120V spas if you put the main pump into high speed it will cut the heater so it doesn't over AMP the breaker. 

The topside control in those spas are notorious for failing and they are no longer available. To fix a faulty topside you have to replace the spa pack as well so lets hope you are not in that situation. Perhaps one of our Watkins guys can run the serial number for you @castletonia

• Like 1

It's a 2006.

I've never seen/used those electronics but I know a lot of the older ones wouldn't show the actual temperature, only the set temperature.  If it is running 115v then the tub will only heat when the pump is on low speed.  I have a Hot Spring SX and it takes anywhere between 24-36 hours to heat from 50 to 103 degrees depending on the outside air temp and whether I have the air control open or closed.

• Like 1

Assuming this hot tub did not have the circulation pump added and only has the jet pump, the pump should turn on automatically when it needs heat.  Keep in mind though that it will not automatically call for heat until the actual water temperature is 2 degrees below the set temperature.

• Like 2