Spa pumps cycling on their own

mech65

Hello, first post here. I have a 2012 Sundance Altamar. No problems up until last night. I woke up in the early hours to find the main pumps running on high. Tried to shut down using the topside control but they would not respond. I shut off the circuit breaker for a minute and restarted. Everything seemed ok but a few hours later the pumps were back on and only shut off when flipping the breaker. Any help would be appreciated.

No errors top side and temp is set at 98f. I will check voltage to heater but what would that cause pumps to start up for no reason. When I ask for more heat the circulation pump comes on unless we are using the spa and all pumps are running.

I was hoping for a shot of the equipment area too, so we can see all of the pumps. Do you have a small, 24/7 circulation pump right below the heater?

Leave filter out and see if it stops acting up.

Just to be sure, you have checked your filter cycle programming to make sure it isn't just starting a filter cycle? It will run high speed for a few minutes at the beginning of each cycle. 

I can try but more than the middle panel would have to come off. To the left of the control panel is one pump. To the right is another pump and a dedicated circulation pump. So that is three pumps in total. The pumps and blowers run at 12 noon, each pump and blower running for a few minutes. I have never had the big pumps go on by themselves. The last night and so far there have been no false startups. If you would like more pictures I can remove more panels tomorrow and get more pics. Thanks for getting back to me.

No, you told me what I was looking for. 

I am pretty sure that tub filters more than once per day, but it's been a while since I have seen one.

If the circulation pump is failing it can trigger overheating in the heater, which will turn the high jets on to move water through and cool it down. This will display an error, but it is self resetting, so if you don't look when it happens you won't see it.

• Like 1