Balboa M7 Not Heating unless High Jet Setting On

@RDspaguy

My mistake. Had the multimeter on wrong setting. It is reading 232 when heater is running.

At the very beginning of the entire issue, it was reading 225. Somehow when I adjusted the sensors it went up to 232.

Is it possible that 232 is too high? If so is there a way to drop it down a bit?

Also, when the jets are turned on the first squirt of water that comes out is scalding hot, I never remember that happening before...

thanks so much.

4 hours ago, Alber36 said:

Somehow when I adjusted the sensors it went up to 232.

No, it did not. I think I explained already that any voltage drop is unrelated to your sensors, and if you were dropping 7 volts on a relay you fried it in minutes. Voltages can, and do, vary for many reasons. All that matters is that the heater voltage is the same as the spa power voltage at any given time.

You still managed to not answer my question. Does the heater turn off when it should? Use your tester and verify that there is no voltage to the heater when it has reached set temperature. 

@RDspaguy

Seems strange that two different relays would fail back to back. Could there be some issue causing this? I don’t want to continue to fix the relays and have them fail... Would it make more sense to replace the entire board, although costly, to be safe?

just want to make sure I don’t burn out another board / system again....

thank you!

I'm inclined to say the repair was botched. But stranger things have happened. New does not always mean good.

The heater cycling (turning on and off frequently) is the only thing I can think of. Is it doing that? You would hear the relay click-click every few seconds or minutes, depending on the cause.

High amp draw on the heater could also do it, but that would mean a short which would trip your breaker.

• Thanks 1

@RDspaguy

perhaps the repair was botched. Electronics guy told me he put a hole in the relay and reattached it and he guaranteed it would work...

I don’t hear it clicking very frequently.

what do you suggest I do to resolve the issue completely, even if more than necessary. Replace the board, or safer replace the whole system? I don’t want to risk something being off and burning a relay again.

thanks so much 

• 3 weeks later...

@RDspaguy

so I ordered a new control system based on a link you sent a while back. Trying to replace the system now. Two questions for you:

- the electrical wiring is different on the two control panels and I’m not sure how to connect the old electrical to the new board. I only have 1 white and 2 blacks. Could you help? I think the white stays on top but my old #2 actually is supposed to be red. Pics attached

- also noticed that the old heater tube says 5.5kw and the new one says 4.0kw. Will this make any difference? Pics attached

I think everything else should be self explanatory….

Thank you!!

D3DB7E40-6B09-4A98-8BB7-633594D1D0EA.jpeg

519CBC8B-B513-417F-9471-343C3141511D.jpeg

37A63EBA-16BC-4D89-8AE7-44B9F008C4B1.jpeg

C25351C6-38A5-40A3-AC91-22F9B4312EA9.jpeg

@RDspaguy

There was no manual or card. Can I find setup 19 online somewhere?

It does seem that I may need to flip dipswitch #3 ON to be in line with my old setup, but not sure if I should try…

Also, I’m not sure if Pump 2 is one speed or two speed. With prior system, Pump 2 has always just functioned HIGH or OFF. I don’t know if that was a function of the pump or the setup.

here was the link:

https://pool-spa-supplies.com/balboa-control-balboa-water-group-retrofit-kit-bp7-tp600-g6406?utm_source=google_shopping

Thanks!

Edited by Alber36

@RDspaguy

Got it. The Tech Sheet doesn't have a diagram for setup 20, only 21.

I'm attaching here the jumpers like you asked yesterday. I labeled the pics, let me know if you see anything wrong here?

-J88 to J6

-J1 to Expander Board 1

Thank you!851336484_J88toJ6.jpg.b0aa4cd653855b6fd7664573c3d48628.jpg494249995_J6toJ88.jpg.726ed32dfaa1e80a0b7fe50f9d6b460c.jpg732115273_1ExpanderBoardtoJ1.jpg.9a38246db0e8ecdbf5e36b9019ca63c7.jpg1695012442_J1to1ExpanderBoard.jpg.58b22b015886db65b8e40fada2b305d0.jpg180454547_ExpandertoMain.jpg.535085a50030af045aebac07bd198697.jpg

Edited by Alber36

@RDspaguy

I spoke with the seller, who contacted the manufacturer and they said I needed to set dip switches 1,3 and 6 to ON while the breaker was off, then after turning breaker on, to let it run its startup course and then move 1&6 to OFF.

In addition, I followed your previous message instructions while 1,3&6 were ON, and selected setting #20 on the control panel, then turned 1&6 to off and Pump 2 now works!!

THANK YOU!!

Edited by Alber36
  • Like 2