Lifesmart Simplicity heater????

Just picked this thing up and want to get it up and running for my daughter.  I know I need a new pump but while checking it out I couldn't find a heater. At least nothing resembling a heater as I'm used to.  Anyone know where it could be hiding.  Here are some pics.  

20210513_191455.jpg

20210513_191459.jpg

20210513_191505.jpg

20210513_191515.jpg

20210513_191444.jpg

20210513_191448.jpg

Edited by StevenD
Extra word

2 hours ago, cranbiz said:

It most likely doesn't have a heater. It gets it's heat from the pump motor by using the residual heat to heat the water.

Thanks.  After a while of internet searching I figured that was the case. So for now she'll wait for me to "find" a better quality tub. This one will get my spare dirty water pump and become a koi pond.  

With the current demand and parts shortages, finding a better used tub may not be easy and if you do, people think they are made of gold.

If that one just needs a pump, I would go ahead and replace the pump. This way, she has a tub to soak in for now. While heating the water with residual heat isn't the best way, it does work. Just takes a long time.

• Like 1

@CanadianSpaTech, I TOLD you I didn't want you posting my picture online! That was for your own personal use, you said you were wondering what I looked like! Now all the women on this forum are going to be bugging me constantly just because of my incredible good looks. I don't have time for THAT! Plus, you'll get me in trouble with my wife.

1885538917_Screenshot_20210514-153847_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.719afb366c2b75810dd66a86527d79fa.jpg

5 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

You can always drop a balboa pack with heater in it. Under $500. Plus a little minor plumbing and a pump.

Hey now, I resemble that remark.😉

Yea I was thinking of doing that. Actually it's just the motor locked up.  I'm going to see if I have a similar one in the "pile o' junk" tomorrow.   And definitely clean up the guts.  All lit up and functioning except the frozen motor.

5 hours ago, cranbiz said:

With the current demand and parts shortages, finding a better used tub may not be easy and if you do, people think they are made of gold.

If that one just needs a pump, I would go ahead and replace the pump. This way, she has a tub to soak in for now. While heating the water with residual heat isn't the best way, it does work. Just takes a long time.

There's a nice Hot Springs going for $300 and as described only needs a cover and 2 jets. And the jets work just missing the covers

49 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Just don't break the number 1 rule or you will be right back where you started less $$$. 

Rule #1 Never buy a used spa you don't see running and up to temp or it's buyer beware.

#2... Free spas are rarely Free

Definitely.   I actually picked up a twin to my Solana a while back thinking I would strip it for usable spare parts and make my wife's pond from that shell.  It was free other than the 6 hour round trip to get it.  Got it home and started messing with it, and amazingly the reason it wasn't working was a bad ground wire.  My oldest daughter now owns that one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

No. Spas don't not work because of a bad ground wire. That's in a car. Neutral or hot wire, sure. But not a ground.

Glad it worked out for you.👍

Sorry ground in the GFCI plug.  It wouldn't allow it to reset

19 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

👍

Got the motor running. Had to direct wire it for some reason.   Getting power from the control panel plug but for some odd reason it won't run it.  Then I can direct wire it from the motor plug and it works. ?????  Motor is definitely on it's last leg. I can hear it running in the house. Kinda knew that already.. Anyway one small leak at the top of the diverter valve but it goes back into the tub.  

47 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Is it running without a GFCI?

I think he means he direct wired the pump wires to the circuit board pump connection, eliminating the cord end plug and I'm guessing sticking the wires in the holes of the amp plug on the board. So, bad terminal in the plug or bad solder joint that made a connection when he pushed the wire in.

@StevenD, am I right?

51 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

O-rings.

Yep.  For what it's being used for, a pond no big deal.  The motor sounds like a diesel engine  lol.  That coming out and I'm plumb a 1/2 hp pump on a timer just to circulate the water for the koi and keep it from going stagnant. .

Figured out why it wouldn't run through the board.  Too high Amp draw from the bad motor.  The 1/2 hp works fine. 

Checked out the Hot Springs jetsetter for the daughter.  The 2 directional jets are just missing the center section. Controls all work and nice and hot.  Cover is usable but a little waterlogged. Got it for $250

5 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

I think he means he direct wired the pump wires to the circuit board pump connection, eliminating the cord end plug and I'm guessing sticking the wires in the holes of the amp plug on the board. So, bad terminal in the plug or bad solder joint that made a connection when he pushed the wire in.

@StevenD, am I right?

Yes.  Kind of.  Direct wired the pump to an extension cord. Only to test it.  Definitely wouldn't run it like that for any length of time

3 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

running without a GFCI?

2 hours ago, StevenD said:

wired the pump to an extension cord.

That would be a "yes", I presume.

2 hours ago, StevenD said:

I'm just doing this for fun

Well, we do it for money, and it is NOT fun.🤣 (No comments from the peanut gallery, @CanadianSpaTech.🤫🤨)

Thing is, this thread will exist for as long as the internet and many will read it over the next several decades at least, so our advice to you is also advice to all of them, who may not be doing it for fun. So we always point out safety issues and try our best to give sound advice for the issue that is being addressed, even if it isn't necessary under your precise circumstances. You are, of course, under no obligation to heed that advice. Even the people who pay us for advice don't have to heed it in most cases, and often do not.😉 But it would be irresponsible of us, as the "experts"  to do otherwise.

• Like 1