2011 Marquis Reward Spa wiring question (120v to 240v conversion)

Hello, I bought a 2011 Marquis Reward spa 2nd hand and have a question about the electrical wiring.  It is definitely heating, but it has taken 2 days to get to 83 degrees.  I believe the previous owner was running on 120v.  I have 240 ran but also noticed on the wiring diagram that it says to completely disconnect jumper from J35 and J64 and discard.  I have a jumper wire from J35 to W1, but don't see any reference to that on the diagram.  Should I discard that?  I have already set jumper 2 on the A block to "Up" position as instructed on the Balboa diagram.  Thank you for any help you can provide!

Please see attached diagram 

marquisrewarddiagram.jpg

Thank you so much for the response!  First I'm including the diagrams that the manufacturer included when I asked for their help.  This was their response:

Thank you for the email, the jumper wire from J35 to W1 should remain for a 240V setup.  I would check the switch bank A to see what positions are up, should only be #4 in the up position and rest down.

This should allow the spa to heat with high speed enabled, when the heat light comes on test for voltage at the heater- should show 240V and around 18 amps for a 4KW heater.

I haven't had the chance to use a volt meter on it, but will try to do so tomorrow.  I did adjust the jumpers to where only #4 was in the up position.  That's pretty much the only change that I made.  

I'm also including pictures of my current setup in case it helps.  Currently It's still sitting at around 83 degrees.

Thank you,

Scott

2 pumps.jpg

boards.jpg

dip switches 2.jpg

dip switches.png

Temp.jpg

wiring diagram.png

What it boils down to is the heater amp draw plus the pump motor(s) amp draw must be less (preferably by 10%) than the amp rating of the breaker. If so, you can have it run with the heater. From the wire (#8awg) I suspect you are on a 50 amp breaker. So if your heater draws 18 Amps and each pump is less than 13 Amps you can run 2 high speed pumps with heater. 

BTW, the heater element is replaceable and there are 5.5kw elements that are more common and would fit that manifold. There is a good chance that it has been replaced before and could have a 5.5kw (24 amps) in spite of a 4kw sticker. 

If you overamp the circuit it will trip the breaker.

Check mode and filter cycle duration. The fact that it doesn't run the pump non-stop tells me it is either in economy or sleep mode whether the heater is working or not.

10 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

What it boils down to is the heater amp draw plus the pump motor(s) amp draw must be less (preferably by 10%) than the amp rating of the breaker. If so, you can have it run with the heater. From the wire (#8awg) I suspect you are on a 50 amp breaker. So if your heater draws 18 Amps and each pump is less than 13 Amps you can run 2 high speed pumps with heater. 

BTW, the heater element is replaceable and there are 5.5kw elements that are more common and would fit that manifold. There is a good chance that it has been replaced before and could have a 5.5kw (24 amps) in spite of a 4kw sticker. 

If you overamp the circuit it will trip the breaker.

Check mode and filter cycle duration. The fact that it doesn't run the pump non-stop tells me it is either in economy or sleep mode whether the heater is working or not.

As you suspected, the heater is malfunctioning.  I want to order the 5.5 kw replacement but want to make sure that it will work.  I can find no documentation that says that i can replace the 58081 with the 58083.  Physical specs are the same but want to make sure before pulling the trigger.  Thank you so much for your responses!

I'm following up on this one as the spa still seems to have an issue.  I don't know if I should start a new thread so I'll just continue this one since it relates to the same issue.

I received my OEM 5.5 kw replacement and installed it.  I had to drain about half of the hot tub to install it, so after installing it, I filled it back up.  Everything seemed to have been heating properly, but now I'm getting error codes of:

• OHH
  • dr
  • SnS
  • HFL

The most consistent one is the OHH.  Before replacing this heating element, I didn't see any of these flow-related issues.  I even put the old thermometers back in to see if I got a defective one to no avail.

I also followed troubleshooting steps that I found online to prime the pumps by loosening the connections until water trickled out, completely removed the filters in case they were dirty, and others. 

I thought that the shut-off valves may have been broken and blocking the water flow, but it seems as though they are working properly too.

I'm still not 100% sure that the dip switches (pictured above) are on the correct settings, so that's a thought.  Currently, the only ones that are in the ON position are 2, 3, and 4.

Thank you all again for your time and suggestions!

Hi CST, thanks for the response.  I just wanted to respond and save someone else months or years down the road from doing something stupid.

My hot tub is 100% working!  Right after I posted here, I wrote back to the manufacturer too.  Even though I had a spa tech come look at my hot tub and tell me everything looked right other than the bad heating element, I still asked the manufacturer to confirm. 

I had the pump with the heater (pump 1) plugged into the port for pump 2 on the board, and vice versa.  As soon as I corrected that, the errors went away and the tub heated up to whatever temperature I set it too. Such a relief!  Thank you to everyone who helped!

• Like 1