Hot Spring Vanguard VV Burnt Control Board

I just acquired a Hot Spring Vanguard VV 2005 Serial Number VV2G1993 from my cousin. Upon hooking it up at our house, we noticed that the main control board, not the heater board, is burnt. I'm looking to replace the control board (p/n 77087) but wondering how the board was burnt in the first place? Could it be a bad sensor or pump? I don't want to buy the $400 board, and burn it up again. 

Also, should I be replacing the heater board too?

1CDFE711-51A1-46D8-BF2C-0B27C3A03F03.jpeg

9E1D4B37-B642-4816-AA7B-BE560CAE7D9D.jpeg

8F896218-77AA-4156-BA69-B2AEFF87A9CC.jpeg

That's the low voltage power supply. It's a daughter board mounted to the main board.

I don't think you con buy that separate. An electronics repair guy might be able to rebuilt it. I doubt it's a bad sensor that took it out. Probably just had a component fail shorted, which would cause the damage you see.

1 hour ago, cranbiz said:

That's the low voltage power supply. It's a daughter board mounted to the main board.

I don't think you con buy that separate. An electronics repair guy might be able to rebuilt it. I doubt it's a bad sensor that took it out. Probably just had a component fail shorted, which would cause the damage you see.

You're saying a component on the board shorted itself and caused the damage or something else?

Do I need to replace both the heater board and the main board or just the main board? 

I don't know what it took. The charring on the low voltage power supply indicates a component shorted out. Did it take anything connected to it? I don't know. Maybe @RDspaguyor @CanadianSpaTechmight know better although our friend from the great white north is primarily a Gecko guy. 😜

The heater board is probably good, it doesn't look like a relay toasted. A new main board should certainly fix it.

20 minutes ago, cranbiz said:

I don't know what it took. The charring on the low voltage power supply indicates a component shorted out. Did it take anything connected to it? I don't know. Maybe @RDspaguyor @CanadianSpaTechmight know better although our friend from the great white north is primarily a Gecko guy. 😜

The heater board is probably good, it doesn't look like a relay toasted. A new main board should certainly fix it.

Awesome thanks just ordered a new board! I will say this tub was running fine 2 months ago and I tend to think the charr may have been sometime in the past and unknown. 

9 hours ago, Ashley C said:

tend to think the charr may have been sometime in the past and unknown. 

Nope, it's just as @cranbizsaid. 

I would suggest replacing the controller as well, as it could have been related since it is using the low voltage along with the board. Also, not all hot springs boards and controllers are compatible, so make sure you are getting the right one. They all look pretty much alike.

Damaged sensors would not cause this, but the sensors could be damaged by it, depending on what occurred.

6 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

I would suggest replacing the controller as well, as it could have been related since it is using the low voltage along with the board. Also, not all hot springs boards and controllers are compatible, so make sure you are getting the right one. They all look pretty much alike.

Damaged sensors would not cause this, but the sensors could be damaged by it, depending on what occurred.

Thanks, I purchased 77087 Main Circuit Board for 73223 IQ 2020, my serial number is VV2G1993. Based on part numbers and replacement part numbers I believe this is the correct one. But if anyone knows differently please let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

My electrician put in the two replacement boards, and now we still have no power. It's wired per the wiring diagrams, could the burnt board have caused the Hot Spring 73225 Control Panel Head to die? This is my next idea to replace, but don't want to pull the trigger on it since it's another $300. 

Is this what you mean by the controller?

On 5/4/2021 at 1:38 AM, RDspaguy said:

1540514539_64305984036__493A975D-056D-4E88-86DA-8A4DE2E8C208copy.jpg

There is what is called a control head which sits directly behind the exterior control panel.  I don't have a lot of familiarity with the pre-2012 electronics but I don't see how how that would affect the boards even receiving power.  If the main control board was fried I would be concerned that it took out the heater relay board too.  I would honestly just have your local Hot Spring dealer or a competent service tech come out and figure out what's going on vs just throwing parts at it.  

15 hours ago, Ashley C said:

My electrician put in the two replacement boards, and now we still have no power. It's wired per the wiring diagrams, could the burnt board have caused the Hot Spring 73225 Control Panel Head to die? This is my next idea to replace, but don't want to pull the trigger on it since it's another $300. 

I should have specified what I mean by "no power" is that the tub won't turn on. However using a volt finder, the controller has power to it, we have no "power light or ready light"

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, GuppyWN said:

Ashley, did you figure out your problem? I have a similar situation going on. 

Start a new thread. 

Take and post photos of everything - the subpanel, the wiring diagram, the control board wiring, etc.  The more info you can give, the better chances one of the experts around here can help you troubleshoot the problem

• Like 1