Are there any HOT tubs spas available today?

JACKVJR

Our old Caldera Paradise Kauai has probably reached the point of no return.  A small leak has rotted out the side of the skirt and major repairs would be necessary and might not even be possible.  If there's rot in one area, it may be widespread.

The only reason we've hung on to a leaking tub this long is it had the capability of regulating water temperature up to 106 degrees.  What are the options for those who want a real hot tub?

jack vines

Hot Spring and Caldera will do 106.  Pretty sure Jacuzzi and Sundance will also and maybe Marquis Crown series.  As for hot tubs with immediate availability, probably nothing unless you are lottery winner lucky.  I sell Hot Spring and Caldera.  My soonest availability is now October and will probably be 2022 within a month or so.

Thanks for the prompt reply and the info.  I'd been erroneously told nothing today could legally go above 104.

Since you sell Caldera, but since none are available, is it practically possible to re-frame a Kauai?  When last I was in the local store, they wanted $12,000 for today's equivalent, so fixing what we've got should be investigated.

jack vines

49 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

No, it's not fun. That's why I charge so much to do it. 😉

So how do you advise customers as to when it's cost-effective?

As to materials, a member here detailed replacing rotted wood braces with synthetic decking material.  Is there anything other than pressure-treated wood which might be used?

jack vines

If the repairs are going to exceed it's value in the used market I will let them know it might be time to think about a different, new or used, spa. Most of the cost in this case would be in labor, so it should be pretty cheap if you do it yourself.

You can use whatever you like, but I wouldn't go too overboard on cost. It's still an older tub that will have more problems in the future and may become not worth fixing long before regular old pressure treated lumber begins to rot. 

I will also point out that the "frame" provides very little support, except for the very bottom boards under the footwell of course. The sides are mostly just to hold the skirting up, the weight falls primarily on the footwell. 

22 hours ago, JACKVJR said:

Thanks for the prompt reply and the info.  I'd been erroneously told nothing today could legally go above 104.

Since you sell Caldera, but since none are available, is it practically possible to re-frame a Kauai?  When last I was in the local store, they wanted $12,000 for today's equivalent, so fixing what we've got should be investigated.

jack vines

In 20 years of selling hot tubs I have never been apart of a frame replacement on a hot tub.  As RDspaguy said, it is possible but I cannot give first hand information on how much work or what the cost would be.  $12,000 seems a bit high on a Kauai but the actual price will be determined by what is included.