Sanitizer Levels

dayday1

So we use the tub with a reading of 3 or 4 FAS style testing. We get out and I throw in a tsp or 2 of Dichlor still at this point until CYA reaches 30. 

My question then becomes the next afternoon I will test and it reads 3 or 4 but also has a CC of one drop maybe two. With no use, is this normal? I would think the couple tsp I put in the night after use would take care of CC. So like today I just remove the top for a cycle and put in another tsp to get rid of the CC. 

Lastly when we are in the tub there is like a slimey looking substance that gathers in one are of the tub when we use it. Is that normal just oils from the skin, soap, deodorant whatever we may have brought in?   And do those little floaty things work to collect that stuff. The little star shaped sponge looking things. 

Thanks 

@waterbear

20 hours ago, dayday1 said:

My question then becomes the next afternoon I will test and it reads 3 or 4 but also has a CC of one drop maybe two.

I assume you mean one or two drops of the FAS reagent which would mean your CC is .5 to 1 ppm with a 10 ml sample or .2 to .4 ppm with a 25 ml sample. This is acceptable for CC in a hot tub. If it is over every time you test then there might be an issue. Because of the small water to bather load ratio and the fact that tubs are kept covered so they are not exposed to sunlight (which helps destroy CC) this is entirely normal.

Lastly when we are in the tub there is like a slimey looking substance that gathers in one are of the tub when we use it. Is that normal just oils from the skin, soap, deodorant whatever we may have brought in?

Might be. Impossible to tell without more information or pictures. IT could also be the source of your CC. Do you shower before entering the tub? IF not try it and see if it helps.

And do those little floaty things work to collect that stuff. The little star shaped sponge looking things. 

I've found them to be very effective at removing surface oils. They are made from an oil absorbing substance. Wash with dish detergent and rinse them out THOROUGHLY in the sink once every week or so and change them out every 3 to 6 months. I prefer the Scumbug brand that look like a bug because the shape maximizes the surface area as opposed to shapes like stars or balls.