Marquis Epic Hot Tub Balboa controller 54277-03, Errors CFE A10

dalockha

Hello, First time posting here. I have had this Marquis Epic Spa for well over 10 years and it has been extremely dependable. Only system repairs that have been performed was a pump and a topside control both several years ago. We had some severe thunder storms roll through our area and I noticed I had not heard my hot tub cycling. When I opened the cover the following items were displayed on the top side controller and they keep repeating "CFE and then A10 " when you press any button on the controller the panel lights up but nothing operates. I have attached a video and some snapshots of the board etc to provide as much data as possible. I really don't have any idea where to start, I have shut the power off and turned it back on, checked for loose or broken connections and or burn marks on the board etc, any thoughts from the pro's? Thank you in advance

Board 1.jpg

Balboa Control Box.jpg

CFE or CONFIG ERROR Message

There is a "Configuration Error" (CFE) in the Dip Switches or Configuration Settings.

This Error Message indicates that the Dip Switch Numbers Displayed or the Configuration Setting Values Displayed on the Topside Panel, following the "CFE" Message, are in Conflict with each other. ( CFE then A 10) Contact your Dealer or Service Organization to check the Switch Numbers or Setting Values Displayed, and Correct as Necessary to Match the Equipment in the Spa System, or Continue for a Detailed Test Procedure.

1. Turn OFF the Power to the System and Turn it back ON again to put System into Priming Mode.
  2. Press any "Cool", "Warm", or "Temp" Button to Exit Priming Mode.
  3. After about 45 Seconds, Check for Error Messages on the Topside Panel Display. If there is No Error Message, Select "No Error Message" Below. If there is Now an Error Message, select Message Other than CFEor CONFIG ERROR below or contact your Dealer or Service Organization.

No Error Messages:

The "CFE" or "CONFIG ERROR" Configuration Error Appears to have been Corrected or is Intermittent.

If the Error Repeats, Retest the "CFE" or "CONFIG ERROR" Configuration Error or Call Balboa Technical Service for Assistance.

Need to see photos of the circuit board and schematic on the inside cover. The conflict is with dip switch A 10 and need to see the dip switches and the schematic.

• Like 1

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but if you didn't change any dipswitches (which are fine) then your board is shot. I would get a new topside as well. That brings you to a new control system, which is what I would push for with my insurance provider. 🤔

You'll need a pro to come out and say it could be the result of an electrical surge from ground (lightning strike nearby). Which, described as you did here, shouldn't be an issue. Did you have any other electronics damaged in the home? Any neighbors with damaged stuff or insurance claims?

First step is contact your insurance and find out if it's covered. If not, we'll see what we can do to help you fix it yourself. But if you can get your insurance to cover it, why not? It's worth a call.

Thanks so much, lightning blasted a hole in my neighbors roof and caused significant damage to his house and a lot of electricals, I had multiple popped ground faults as well as a few popped breakers but no other issues, happy for that so if I have to buy a board....everyone is safe and sound and no other issues. One other question for you, would you recommend buying a complete updated spa pack with topside control, I know with the age of the tub it may be hard to find the boards etc, just wondering if I would be better off upgrading to a compete new unit?  Thanks

You really get more bang for your buck with a new system. It is much cheaper as a unit than to buy it one piece at a time. It comes with new board, heater, topside, sensors, and even a light harness. Easy to swap out and simple to understand setup. It's an easy choice to make, and the best bet for long term investment. Get the pumps rebuilt while you are at it and you'll be good for years to come.

• Like 1