Marlig Fix a Leak Procedure?

mscdman

It just keeps getting better. 

so I was hoping I could use my Ah sum AFTER the fix a leak procedure/cure period, but the marlig guy says I should have done it before adding fix a leak.  

can I get by with a drain/refill without a purge one time and just purge at next drain fill?  Will this purge ruin the seal for the leak stop?

am I screwed?

@Ahhsomeguy

14 hours ago, mscdman said:

It just keeps getting better. 

so I was hoping I could use my Ah sum AFTER the fix a leak procedure/cure period, but the marlig guy says I should have done it before adding fix a leak.  

can I get by with a drain/refill without a purge one time and just purge at next drain fill?  Will this purge ruin the seal for the leak stop?

@ahsum

That’s what I’m worried about - his fear of it ruining/dissolving the seal.  I wonder the accuracy of this statement.  Anyone have experience with this here?

I’m curious if anyone on here has used a purge product after a seal procedure and still has the seal hold  

If there is a genuine concern about the purge products ruining the leak seal that’s a real problem for those wanting to use it!

Hi Mscdman:  Your question regarding using our purge product after using the Marlin Fix-A-Leak is a good one.  It is also one that I cannot answer with complete confidence.  Based on my understanding as to how the fix a leak works and what is in it I would recommend that you do NOT purge with our product within 2 weeks or so after using the product.  To my knowledge we have never experimented with that situation.  So, I say not to use our Ahh-Some right after the leak sealer.  Ideally, you purge first to get the plumbing clean of organics and other clinging particulates so that the Marlin will get into places it normally would not be able to come in contact with.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ahhsomeguy said:

Hi Mscdman:  Your question regarding using our purge product after using the Marlin Fix-A-Leak is a good one.  It is also one that I cannot answer with complete confidence.  Based on my understanding as to how the fix a leak works and what is in it I would recommend that you do NOT purge with our product within 2 weeks or so after using the product.  To my knowledge we have never experimented with that situation.  So, I say not to use our Ahh-Some right after the leak sealer.  Ideally, you purge first to get the plumbing clean of organics and other clinging particulates so that the Marlin will get into places it normally would not be able to come in contact with.  

Thanks.   How about at my next 4-month drain and fill interval?  Do you think it will mess with the seal at that point assuming it’s cured 

16 minutes ago, Ahhsomeguy said:

Also for a single bather and lightly used tub will I be in trouble if I Skip one 4-month drain cycle purge in order to allow the product seal not to be ruined

No, you can skip one.  Fortunately, you are obviously aware of how effective a purge can be on allowing for lower maintenance issues.  I would bet that there are over 2 million hot tubs or more that have never had their plumbing and jets chemically cleaned or purged of gunk and goo.  You are an informed hot tub owner.  Keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you all had some success with the leakstop at this point. I called Marlig and they recommended leaving the tub drained for a couple weeks (!) to allow curing. Makes sense since the slicates (listed on MSDS) would need to dehydrate to form hard seals and I have a foam-filled tub where air can't get to. I'm just not that patient though and after a 2-day hold, I refilled immediately after draining. Seemed to stop the leak for the first week, but it's now seeping again.

Maybe next time in the heat of summer I will blow out the pipes with a shop vac, maybe even leave the air blow running for a while, and let it sit for a day or two.

Anyone make an epoxy-based or similar leak-stop product that will cure under water?

22 hours ago, turbulentwaters said:

I'm just not that patient though and after a 2-day hold, I refilled immediately after draining. Seemed to stop the leak for the first week, but it's now seeping again.

Anyone make an epoxy-based or similar leak-stop product that will cure under water?

I'd try a second application of leak seal.  Mine has been leak free over 2 months now.

If you drain it to try epoxy, I'd get marine epoxy.

Funny how Marlig told you different instructions than on their bottle !