Chlorine dosing to raise bromine

d.sebens

I haven’t paid attention to how much I use to raise bromine. I use regular bleach. Does the table for raising chlorine translate into bromine level when adding chlorine?  I should be measuring but I just dump some in and test them dump more in till I get there. It would be nice to have an idea how much to add to bump it up. 

13 hours ago, d.sebens said:

I haven’t paid attention to how much I use to raise bromine. I use regular bleach. Does the table for raising chlorine translate into bromine level when adding chlorine?  I should be measuring but I just dump some in and test them dump more in till I get there. It would be nice to have an idea how much to add to bump it up. 

Okay that was some easy science, I dosed it with bleach enough to raise chlorine 2.5 ppm. The outcome was bromine raised about 2.5 ppm. That makes it easy to know how much to put in.

21 hours ago, d.sebens said:

Should I target a lower ta and aim for 7.6? 7.8?  Should I just let it be?

Maintain a pH of around 7.7 to 7.8, when it hits 8.0 lower it back to 7.7 or 7.8. Drop it to 7.6 if it's easier but realize that it will settle around 7.7 and the slowly start to climb. We want to maximize how long it takes to climb back to 8.0. Borate, not lowering pH below 7.6, and keeping TA low (50 to 70 ppm) are how e achieve this.

28 minutes ago, waterbear said:

Do you have an established bromide bank in the water?

Yes but have lost some water due to over flowing and a hose coming off. Have just cowboy’d a little more sodium bromide to it. 

25 minutes ago, waterbear said:

Maintain a pH of around 7.7 to 7.8, when it hits 8.0 lower it back to 7.7 or 7.8. Drop it to 7.6 if it's easier but realize that it will settle around 7.7 and the slowly start to climb. We want to maximize how long it takes to climb back to 8.0. Borate, not lowering pH below 7.6, and keeping TA low (50 to 70 ppm) are how e achieve this.

I was at 60 ta and it was still rising. I lowered to 7.6 and will see where ta is. I have to be getting close to where it will balance for a while.  Do you recommended borate strips or can i just guess.

I put in the right amount when I filled the tub but have lost probably 1/3 to 1/2 since filling. I added enough borates for 1/3 cap of the tub.  I was using the gentlespa stuff. 

20 minutes ago, d.sebens said:

Do you recommended borate strips or can i just guess.

LaMotte borate test strips. MUCH easier to read that Taylor, Hach, and AquaChek. LaMotte have a change from rose pink to tan, the others are very close shades of tan.