Hot Springs Spa - no heat - no blinking lights

Kybasche

Hello!

We inherited a hot tub (c.2006 Hot Springs Grandee) when we moved in September of 2020. Everything worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. Same story as many - came out to use the tub and it was lukewarm.

My somewhat uninformed troubleshooting so far has involved the following:

1. Changed the filters out for new ones (ceramic Tri-X) to try and eliminate any issues with old/dirty filters causing water flow issues
  2. Removed most of the tubes leading up to and leaving the circ pump to check for blockages - didn't find anything. The circ pump is running, water is flowing from the heater return along with Ozone bubbles at what seems like the "normal" rate.
  3. Looking at the IQ2020, I noticed that the D9 LED was blinking red (based on this thread, I took that to mean the heater relay board was bad). Ordered a new 77119 relay board and installed it today. No more blinking red light, but still no heat.
  4. Checked the resistance across the heater (measured between H1 and H2 terminals on the heater relay board) - got 15.2 Ohms, which I think is within reason (4 kW Watkins No-Fault). I guess that about 13.2 Ohms is probably expected at 230V (230**2 / 4000)
  5. LIIM OK and HTR ON lights on the main board are the right colors (green and red, respectively - no blinking).
  6. Measured voltage to the heater (measured between H1 and H2 terminals on the heater relay board) is ~230V.

I'm out of ideas at this point. I've seen other threads mention ideas about bypassing some pressure switches on the main motherboard? It seemed like that was mostly a temporary solution or part of the diagnosis process, but perhaps I misread(?)

I'm running out of ideas at this point - any other things I can try? How likely is it that the Relay board and Heater both failed at the same time? Are there any other ways to determine definitively that the heating element is no good?

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Kybasche said:

Checked the resistance across the heater (measured between H1 and H2 terminals on the heater relay board) - got 15.2 Ohms

3 hours ago, Kybasche said:

Measured voltage to the heater (measured between H1 and H2 terminals on the heater relay board) is ~230V.

If this is right then your heater is heating.