Houston Area -- 2008 Hot Spring Grandee

Megamorph

I have a 2008 Hot Spring Grandee spa that I purchased new from our local Hot Spring dealer.  In 2016, I had back surgery and stopped maintaining the spa.  It has been sitting on my patio covered with water in it since 2016.  After this recent hard freeze we had in Houston, the lights on the control panel turned off and it doesn't appear to be functioning.  The exterior side panels are in good condition but faded over the years.  The interior was in perfect condition when last used, as was the functionality and plumbing.  No idea of the current status, but the water was clear when I removed the cover today, with sediment standing standing at the bottom of the liner.  The spa cover needs to be replaced, as does the cover lifter.  

Does anyone know if the spa has any value on the used market?  I would like to sell it as even if I restored it, I wouldn't be able to maintain it properly going forward.  

Ummm, maybe...

Get it fixed and buy a cover... definitely.

Here's the deal. Most people won't buy a broken spa if they don't fix them for a living. That could be a $2k fix. So, unless you get lucky and find that gung-ho diy guy, nobody is going to respond to your ad.

Those of us who do fix them for a living know how bad it could be, know that there could be more wrong than you are telling, have access to numerous cheap or free used spas (people pay us to take them to the dump), and expect to turn a profit for our time and money. 

The used spa market is booming (at least in my area) and my tubs sell like hotcakes right now, so maybe you can get something for it as-is on craigslist or fakebook. But I would at least get a repair estimate and see what other used tubs are selling for in your area.

Most likely. It really depends on that dealers service department. The spa repair business has a very high turnover rate and experienced people are hard to come by and harder to keep. I went on my own the first time after about 6 years in the industry. So any independent who services all brands (like me) and is recommended by any area pool store for hot springs repairs probably knows their stuff. And will show up there themselves, not send a kid in a truck with a cell phone to call for help.