Heating Issue Sundance Optima

Wolfman2

Hello; 

I have an older Sundance Optima tub. Has always worked great, never have replaced any internal parts. Recently, tub only gets to 102 or 101 degrees even though it's set for 104. I did have to replace the top side control panel this fall after ants got into it (I have the tub off during the summer) but this problem has arisen since then then so I don't think the controller is the problem. Any problem solving ideas? 

Also, there is some pump going almost all the time. I would like to turn it off but haven't been able to suss out how to do that. Any ideas there would be appreciated as well. 

Thanks!

Ok it has a circulation pump that will run 24/7. if one of the main pumps is running all the time then you have a different issue. How old is the filter? Remove it and see if you gain temp. The heater obviously works but you could verify it has 240VAC going to the heater when the spa is calling for heat. Follow the red and black wires bottom right over to the left side of the pack where they attach to the circuit board. Multi meter set to AC and one lead on red and one on black should get you 240VAC when the spa is calling for heat. Let us know results

Electricity can kill if you are unsure about any of this call a professional. If you are in Missouri I recommend @RDspaguy✔️👍🤣

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ciderjack said:

Capacitors look blown.  The two black capacitors that stick out of the board, just above the 4-pin plug in connector, look like they are rounded over on the top.  They should be flat.  If that is the case, those should be replaced or the board should be replaced. 

Good eye ciderjack!  The cap kit is available on ebay - search for "Sundance Spas capacitor set".  Repair available from yours truly.

spokanespas.com 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas! spokanespas ...If you feel like driving over the pass, you can come and look on person (haha)! I'm in Seattle. Anyway, I'll take a look at the caps. I think the light was just reflecting in a funny way that makes them look swelled. If I'm feeling brave, I'll check the heater voltage. 

I assume the pump that is running most of the time (it shuts off for a minute or so every once in a while) is a circulation pump. It's pretty quiet but sometimes bugs me when it does shut off and then the complete silence is appreciated. I'm going to review the different programs to see if that has anything to do with it. 

Caps look flat to me.

I am looking more at the heat discolouration of the black and red connections lower right of the board. The board also looks discoloured in that area. I would remove the board and have a look on the back. Don't think this would cause it not to heat up the 2 degrees you are not getting though. 

https://staging-na01-jacuzzi.demandware.net/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-sundance-shared-content/default/v44de813235d8b46eb8c84da693ec1bed8e8ec186/pdf-documents/pdf-manuals/2011-manuals/880-series_english.pdf?version=1,599,159,563,000

Page 48...13.1 for circ pump cycle settings

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! I cleaned out the filter which had a lot more small plant material on it than I realized. I also cracked open the manual (thanks to CanadianSpaTech) and realized that some jets weren't working due to the diverter knobs being broken so ordered a couple new ones and, like magic, they all work again! 

Also programed the filter for a 20 hour cycle (as opposed to the standard 24 hour) so I can can be in the tub 8pm-midnight without the circulation pump on. A small victory but it makes me happy. 

All this has led to the water staying between 103-102 which I can live with. This summer when the tub is drained I will, if I'm feeling adventurous, test the heater element. Installing a new one looks straight forward enough. Is it surprising that a heater has lasted 15 years? 

Anyway, thanks for the ideas & hope spring has appeared where you live! 

• Like 1