Jacuzzi Hot Tub leak at pump union

ilaudio

I have a Jacuzzi J-145 Hot Tub. Over the winter in sub zero days, we lost power for a few hours. It kicked off the outdoor breaker and I didn't realize it until 4 days later. The tub was frozen. I drained it at -5.  It's finally warm enough to refill to see if any damage. I put some water in and noticed on the pump AFTER the heater the outgoing union is leaking about a drip per second maybe quicker with more water in tub. I loosened and retightened. Still drips. The union has a recessed O ring that I imagine is supposed to stop the water when the 2 piped are pressed up against each other. My question: Anyone have experience with a fix for this? I believe I can just buy an Oring or by the union...which the union I am guessing would be a challenge getting free from the rest of the pipe do to the blue glue. Thank you in advance for your advice.20210320_123013.thumb.jpg.b2f518fb8491b7f5a5a00d49ffbfb33f.jpg 

20210320_123031.jpg

The blue glue has nothing to do with backing off the coupler with the nubs going around it. You will have to drain the spa as there are likely no gate valves in that spa. You can use an oil filter wrench to turn the coupler or place a flat head screwdriver against the nubs and gently tap on it to back it off. Check the threads on the wet end of the pump for cracks at the base of the threads. Quite often it is not a failed o-ring but a cracked housing when freezing has occurred.

I didn't see any cracks in the threads--although it wasn't perfect light conditions. I drained and then added some more water to see where leak is coming from. I think it's coming from the top side of the motor threads---back against the motor housing or the union doesn't reach. Do the black threads coming out of the motor housing come off the motor and there's a seal there? If not that could be where the crack is. I drew an arrow where the water appears to be coming from and then runs down on either side slow drip.

20210320_123013_LI.thumb.jpg.502bddca89b820ce439685ce03221b91.jpg

Yeah that is one of the spots where it will crack if froze. That looks to be a Chinese made LX pump. You will likely need to replace the entire wet end. Just the face pate is NOT available. Post photo of the entire pump and any white tags on the motor and I'll post a link for what you need. It will come with a new seal and a new impeller as well as the wet end housing and faceplate

Where are you located?

• Like 1