Topside Control LED screen issues

jaye kaye

Topside Control LED screen issues Artesian Spa (Antigua Island Model)

I have been having a repeated issue with my spa topside control LED screen. It has failed 3 times in less than 5 years.

The problem: The screen develops fine vertical lines and after a time renders the screen un-viewable. This happened to the original screen and two subsequent replacements (warranty). It is now happened again. The dealer and the Manufacturer, Artesian Spas will not help as the spa is out of warranty. A new panels is $600 installed.

Note: I live in  very moderated climate area with no frost/snow nor heat much about 80's. The spa is always covered and there are just 2 adults that  use the spa 34-5 times a week. Chemicals are always correct.

The panel seem to be propitiatory  to Artesian Spas.  The underlying  control panel has a "Balboa" name stamp and I same that the are the real OEM.

Any ideas as to what is the cause of the problem, other that panels  was poorly made or designed. Seems odd that 3 panels would fail in the identical manner.

Thanks.  J

2020 spa control panel failure.jpg

2018 Spa Panel failure.png

I saw some issues (not just Artesian) when they first came out with the touch screen topsides. The cover would randomly turn things on when closed but I think that was more of a placement issue. The only other thing I can think is if it is being held in place with screws that are to tight.

@jaye kayeif you can post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cover as well as a photo of the complete topside so we can see what you have exactly (any numbers off it would also help) and we'll see if there is a cheaper generic (Balboa) replacement available for you.

• Like 1

Not the underside of the panel, the circuit board in the control box by the pumps. You will have to remove the side panel and open the control box. You will find the diagram on the inside of the box cover. There could be many different topsides that look like that but won't work with your system.

• Like 1

I've warranty replaced at least a half dozen of their latest touchscreens in the last six months.  The ones I run across either have the lines on the screen or are completely blank.  Most are mounted inches from the waterline and are exposed to all the heat, humidity, and chemicals they can handle, until they can't.  IMO it's a mistake when the hot tub manufacturer mounts them in the tub instead of in a molded area on the top lip.  Hopefully big B will beef up the waterproofing or, save the touchscreens for cell phones.

spokanespas.com 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spokanespas said:

I've warranty replaced at least a half dozen of their latest touchscreens in the last six months.  The ones I run across either have the lines on the screen or are completely blank.  Most are mounted inches from the waterline and are exposed to all the heat, humidity, and chemicals they can handle, until they can't.  IMO it's a mistake when the hot tub manufacturer mounts them in the tub instead of in a molded area on the top lip.  Hopefully big B will beef up the waterproofing or, save the touchscreens for cell phones.

spokanespas.com 

Are the ones you replaced from only Artesian Spa? Or other manufacturers? TIA

Also, I see from your website that you do repairs in your shop. Can you remove and replace/repair the LED screen fro the topside control panel. Or does the whole panel need to be replaced?

J

21 hours ago, jaye kaye said:

Are the ones you replaced from only Artesian Spa? Or other manufacturers? TIA

Also, I see from your website that you do repairs in your shop. Can you remove and replace/repair the LED screen fro the topside control panel. Or does the whole panel need to be replaced?

J

Not Artesian but Balboa.

We don't repair spasides other than cord end plugs and overlays. 

spokanespas.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a similar issue, the first one failed but I put that down to the plastic cover lifting a little and letting moisture in. 
18 months after being replaced the same thing is happening with no lifting of the covering. 
Poor quality lcd springs to mind, the original was artesian but found a Balboa direct replacement for 1/2 the cost. 

75117153-CA70-44FC-81A9-9F2DBF7ADD4C.jpeg

• 2 months later...