Master Spa Overheating

Michael M

Hello  I have a Master Spa with a Balboa MS8000 Circuit board.  Everything seems to operate absolutely fine with the exception that it keeps overheating.  The temp goes up to like 110 then i get the OHH error.  I can turn it on the next day and the temp just climbs all the way back up and shuts down again. I have checked the water temp with a thermometer and it matches the temp on the display. Does anyone know why this could be happening or what i could check?  is there a relay or something on the board that could be causing this or is there a different thermostat or something that isn't working?  Any suggestions would be great!

Check your filter cycle duration. If it is set to high the heat from the pump running continuously or extended periods of time it will overheat the water from the inside. Most spas want an F2 setting. It will filter the water for 2 hours out of a 12 hour period 4/24.

Reading in my manual it states "Your system has a 24-hour circ pump. The circ pump runs continuously. The ozone generator runs during the first half of each hour, except when the ozone generator turns off for an hour due to the Therapy button being pressed."  So i dont think i can run it for 2 hrs at a time.  It is a LEGEND SERIES CONTROL LS800

Circulation pump has nothing to do with filter cycles. Check your filter cycles.

If it overheats rapidly it is probably a stuck heater relay on the circuit board.

Do you have a multimeter? Turn the temp down below the actual water temp and test voltage across the heater terminals. It should turn off the heater. If you have voltage between the two heater terminals, it's a bad relay.

I have removed the filters, Set the filter cycle for 2 hours.  No matter what i do there is power going to the heater, even when i set the temp below the current water temp.

Does this sound like a bad relay?  If so can i replace it or do i need a new board?  I am ok with my soldering skills LOL.  Thx!

Look at the board and see if there is any discoloration, burnt spots or melted plastic relay case around the relays. If all looks good, pull the power and then you can use a multimeter to check the contacts for the correct continuity. If the heater relay is stuck hard, the contact path will be different than a working relay.

An example (using a Bosch relay, which is not the same as a hot tub relay pinout) 

Pin 30 is the common, pin 87a is NC contact and pin 87 is the NO contact. Pin 30 will show continuity to pin 87a when the relay is off. When the relay is on, pin 30 will show continuity to pin 87. Pins 85 and 86 are the coil wires. If this relay was stuck, pin 30 will always show continuity to pin 87 no matter if the relay was off or on.

Those relays probably do not have exposed terminals on the front. You cannot test them that way, but would have to remove the board and scrape of the insulating spray on the solder points on the back. There may be labels printed on the board next to each relay saying what it is for. Post a pic of the board.

Here is a picture of the board that matches mine.  I will have to label and remove all the wires off of mine because with all the wires you cant see the board clearly.  I cant see the back side until i remove it.

I am suspecting the relay(s) might be the two with the jumper wire going in between them as they would be closest to the heater but that is just a guess.  Looking at this board and mine on the tub the only labels are K5 and K6.

Thanks for your help!

image.png.8157963e2da1ae249489171426cd521f.png

To get it out you really only need to mark the pumps locations, note where the topside plugs in and disconnect the main power, heater and 2 sensors. None of the white wires need to be removed. Find an electronics repair shop and have the relay replaced. When I get my boards done I have my guy replace all the relays to freshen up the board but that's up to you.  

• 10 months later...
On 3/19/2021 at 12:20 PM, Michael M said:

Update.

I took the circuit board out and removed the two relays that were connected to the heater.  One of them was stuck closed.  I ordered 2 new relays and will hopefully have them back in the board in a couple days.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Hi Michael, 

I think I have the same problem you had with your hot tub. Just asking if you had fixed yours with changing the reply? Where did you buy the relays from? Was it relatively easy to change? 
Thanks 

14 hours ago, cranbiz said:

You can usually source the relays from Amazon. Replacing them is relatively easy if you know how to solder. If you don't, find an electronics repair guy. Probably cost about $25 for the relays and $100 or so in labor to have them replaced.

Thank you I can’t even identify which Relay it is I have ordered a few any help would be much appreciated. 

AF83D264-092D-428B-B662-C9579E424FCD.jpeg

This is the link to the relays on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/American-Zettler-AZ762-1A-12DE-Medium-Relays/dp/B00FV1WCB8 Because of position, The 2 relays that are parallel to the heater terminals are most likely the relays but I would replace all 3.

The only thing that concerns me is that they are 16A rated relays. How many watts is the heater? A 4000W heater is 16.6 amps at 240V. However all the relays on that board appear to be 16A relays so maybe it's something to do with the Euro PC Board

7 hours ago, cranbiz said:

This is the link to the relays on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/American-Zettler-AZ762-1A-12DE-Medium-Relays/dp/B00FV1WCB8 Because of position, The 2 relays that are parallel to the heater terminals are most likely the relays but I would replace all 3.

The only thing that concerns me is that they are 16A rated relays. How many watts is the heater? A 4000W heater is 16.6 amps at 240V. However all the relays on that board appear to be 16A relays so maybe it's something to do with the Euro PC Board

Thank you 😊 I am sure the heater is 3KW don’t know if that mean 3000W but I had a new heater & main pump only September 2021. I am not very knowledgeable with amps so I don’t know what you mean is that bad news? 

FK hate when folks don't start their own thread. It gets confusing and wastes time. Makes it harder for folks to find solutions on their own and in this situation you have North American circuit board in half the post and completely different Euro boards in the other half and this can cause someone unknowing to get it wrong. @cranbizbest to get folks to start their own thread/post to minimize confusion. JMO

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is a late reply, but, it may help someone else. I had the same issue OHH. I replaced the 3 relays shown in Boycey Photo. Ordered New - Old stock from Ebay via China. I'm in the UK. Been running fine for 10 days now. Relay is Discontinued but still available "Zettler AZ762-1A-12DE". Had Tub running 24/7 since 2006

• Like 1