Mystified - Chlorine Levels

Hello all. I'm brand new here and,  as you can see by my username, I'm from Canada (Ontario).

We are new spa owners as we've had our tub for just over a month.  Water chemistry is driving me crazy.

At the recommendation of our dealer, we are using a "Life" brand floating dispenser with the the small tabs.  Our tub holds 359 gallons / 1359 L.  It is equipped with Bullfrog's EOS ozone system.

The dealer recommended that we start with the floater set to 3 (decent size opening).  A day after initial fill, the chlorine level (measure with strips obviously) was WAY high.

We are using it 3-4 times per week depending upon weather. We were also told to shock using 25g (1/2 cap per person) after each use.

I've been throttling it back in increments and it is now set at 1 (only about an eight of an inch opening).  Four days ago, I put three tabs in the dispenser and they are virtually gone now - maybe 3 half inch pellets left.  I checked chlorine today and it was still WAY high. I pulled the floater out and decided to seek some advice.

Any thoughts or advice?  Thanks in advance.

Frank

lifefloater.jpg

what is the chemical ingredients in your tabs? Are they chlorine or bromine? Please post since trichlor tabs (the only form of chlorine in tablet form) are normally not recommended for spas because of their very low pH.

Also, how are you testing the water? Strips, OTO liquid reatent (yellow comparator block) DPD liquid or tablet reagent (red comparator block) or FAS-DPD (drop count test with color change from pink to colorless), an electronic meter with either liquid or tablet reagents, or an electronic strip reader?

IF you could post a full set of test results it would be very helpful.