Water Purge after Cleaning with Ahh Some?

This might be a strange question but after using the Ahh Some hot tub cleaner, should I fill the tub up with regular water, run a clean cycle to flush out the lines, drain fully and refill the tub? Or is this not necessary?

I ask because I changed my water in January and it already appears to need changing again. Its just my wife and I so the waters environment is pretty controlled for the most part.  We usually get a good 4 months of usage before needing to change out the water. But this was the first time I used this product so I didn't know if maybe did something wrong or when I drained the tub. Could there have been some loose bio film, crud or whatever still left in the lines that has caused the water chemistry so change quicker than normal? With the pumps off, the water appears crystal clear and has no odors aside from the Ozonator smell. But once you turn them on, it looks like a bubble bath in there within a couple minutes.

The water is balanced right and Ive shocked the heck out of it this last week thinking maybe I can get it back to not foaming up uncontrollably, but its just not working. 

Any ideas on this is much appreciated.

Hello Epic Cajun:  We need to be certain as to exactly what you are describing.  Foam is drastically different from bubbles and mean different things.  Here are possibilities.  Yes, you may have had remnants of the bio-purge break loose from the bio colony as some of the gunk was somewhat loosened during the purge but not totally eliminated.  Any residual Ahh-Some in the plumbing would be so small an amount that it would not be a contributing factor. Water pressure may have pushed this out into the tub and it can cause foam.  If the bubbles have a brownish/gold hue on their perimeter this is probably bio contaminants.  Bear in mind that there are many hot tubs that are grossly contaminated and have been building up the film for many years.  One purge may just not do the job.  Did you do additional purges?  You should consider this.

You also mention lots of air bubbles when you turn on the jets.  Sometimes, water is over saturated with oxygen and nitrogen.

if the air is being injected into the water in a very turbulent way, this will create very small bubbles.  If this seems to be happening I would check the jet air injector to make sure it is not partially clogged.  Also, smaller bubbles take longer to clear and out gas versus larger bubbles that rise and out gas more quickly.

Ideally, you purge again just to be certain that the majority of the plumbing gunk has been eliminated.  What you see from the purge may tell you what the problem may be.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2021 at 9:04 AM, Ahhsomeguy said:

One purge may just not do the job.  Did you do additional purges?  You should consider this.

This was basically my question. I did not know if I should be doing multiple applications to clean out the lines or if 1 was going to be enough. Your comments about the years of build up make perfect sense and I should keep doing this until the water comes out clear with no film.

On 3/11/2021 at 9:04 AM, Ahhsomeguy said:

Ideally, you purge again just to be certain that the majority of the plumbing gunk has been eliminated.  What you see from the purge may tell you what the problem may be.

I ran two cycles yesterday and will do another today just to make sure. Each time draining, cleaning and refilling the tub back up.

Thanks for your help!

• 1 year later...