Balboa GL2000

Barkey

Hi. I have a GL2000 balboa pcb on my spaform tub. Recently the heater has stopped working when the jets or blower is turned on. It works fine without the jets on and heats the water as normal. As soon as i press the jets the heater stops heating. I have checked the power across the heater when the jets are pressed and the power to the heater stops. 
Any help would be amazing. I have taken the pcb to a repair place but it has been returned no different. It is due to go back for a second look but all help is welcomed. 

Verify Dip Switch A2 is in the up position. See page 4 below. How many AMP GFCI do you have? Is it wired 110V 0r 230V? Turn power off if you have to change the dip switch.

If A2 is not in the up position it will cut out the heater when the pump is pressed into high speed.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Pictures/GL2000%2053258-03_97_A.pdf 

Hi. I have checked and the A2 dip switch from a photo of the board and it is in the down position but I have never moved this. Can they move or trip themselves. I’m running on 230v as I’m in the Uk. The pcb is currently at a repair centre but they are struggling to find the fault. 

46 minutes ago, Barkey said:

Can they move or trip themselves

No.

It it a single 16 amp service,  

If it is a single 16 amp A2 HAS to be in down position. 

If it is a dual 16 amp service a single 32 amp service or 3 Phase... A2 in the up position will allow heater to run with pump on high.

See attached

GL2000 53258-03_97_A - Copy.pdf

• Like 1

Hi. Thank you for being so helpful and responding. I only have one power supply to the hot tub and it runs if a 20A breaker. She photo. I’m assuming that means it’s a 16 Amp supply. 
I have attached the picture of how the dips are set up too which have been in that position all the time I’ve owned the tub to my knowledge. (12 years)

I replaced two capacitors recently in the two pumps as they burnt out and this problem has started since that happened. I don’t run the pumps on two speed. The are a simple on off and seem to run at the one speed? E5CC4BF3-6D31-480E-A826-3943AC5E4485.thumb.png.6762eef89118f1964b0cd00a16ea4c26.png7B932A8E-54E0-415B-A2DD-1AA32A24C7F3.thumb.jpeg.dc28e44c00271a54e9511f6801192d3a.jpeg

237E1E3D-9AA9-48A6-B53F-D137E39A846E.jpeg

6 hours ago, Barkey said:

I’m assuming that means it’s a 16 Amp supply. 

maybe maybe not. I have no clue about the European power grid/supply but there is a lot of components on that schematic. You need to talk with an electrician or a spa company that is familiar with your control system and power grid. I don't think that with the A2 in down position you will be able to run the pump on high and have the heater on at the same time. 

Looking at the dip switch settings as you have them A12 (persistent memory) should be down so some of the settings have been messed with. Perhaps when you took it in for repair they messed with the settings trying to make it work. I also have questions about A11 and Dip Switch B B1. Most pump #1 are 2 speed (check pump for rating and if it is actually a 2 speed...but that setting might have something to do with the A11 dip switch. Confusing I know. You might want to see if you can get some information on the correct dip switch settings from the spa manufacturer

• Like 1

Hi. I’ve managed to get the GL2000 manuals and a Uk spa company have confirmed the A2 should have been up and A12 as you said should be down to allow heater and pumps to run at the same time. 
I have done this and everything works now but could this cause damage if it’s running off a 20A supply and what kind of damage? 

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt... it is a type of breaker that will trip and cut power instantly if water and electricity come into contact. It is code in North America. Here in Canada that spa with all it's components would require a 60 Amp GFCI. 

I am still curious how this became a problem...after 12 years? Is it possible you just never noticed before? Did you have a different issue and had the board repaired and this came up recently after that?. 

Hope this was your issue and it's all figured out now. Regards

• Like 1