Water is cloudy and water filtering faster after replacing filter when running

I ordered a replacement filter that fits my spa.  After replacing the oem filter and turning it on, the water seems to be sucking in at a faster rate than my oem filter and the water became cloudy/milky.  I'm guessing this filter may not have as good filtration?  Or maybe my old filter is just dirty enough that the water is not filtering as efficiently as it should be.  Interested in other's experience in this.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by newtubuser413
did not finish post initially

• newtubuser413 changed the title to Water is cloudy and water filtering faster after replacing filter when running

Thank you both for the response!

The water turns out is not cloudy...just that now that the flow is faster, the water movement is causing the water to look cloudy.  Once it stops running the water is all clear.

I'm "cleaning" the filter every month...but that means just running strong spray water in between as much of the pleats as I can...I haven't tried the tsp method yet so the "grease" and all that is still on there.  I try to get as much of the hair and debris off.  

• 2 weeks later...

Real TSP is just about impossible to find these dayd and the TSP substitute doesn't work as well. I would suggest using powder dishwasher detergent such as Finish or Electrasol instead. These used to be mostly TSP with surfactants but now are phosphate free. However, the added surfactants do help clean the filters better than the TSP substitutes. You want to use the powder formulation (not the liquid, tablet or packet) at a rate of 1 cup per 5 gallons of water and soak the filter for a minimum of 1 hour (overnight is better) and then hose off using a high pressure nozzle like the picture I attached.

nozzle.jpg

• Like 1