Leaking water from pipe joint

Handsy

Hello All 

My hot tub has a leak from a pipe joint only when the water jets are on. It come out with some pressure but not a large volume.  It appears if the actual seal of joint has failed and not the pipes.  What is the best way to repair this please. 

IMG_20210307_152034.jpg

IMG_20210307_152023.jpg

10 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Drain the spa and use a heat gun to warm up the connection and see if you can get the soft plumbing out of the rigid plumbing without damaging either. The re glue the 2 back together. 

Thanks for the advice.  What glue would I use to re-attach?   I got the hot tub with the house I brought so not completely familiar with it use/maintenance 

Yes they make pump seal kits. Get a new impeller for it too. Just Google the pump make and find the kit. Mine were 10 amps which is 2.5 hp. The motor plate lied on them and said 5 hp so double check what size it is because you have to match the impeller. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, d.sebens said:

Yes they make pump seal kits. Get a new impeller for it too. Just Google the pump make and find the kit. Mine were 10 amps which is 2.5 hp. The motor plate lied on them and said 5 hp so double check what size it is because you have to match the impeller. 

That is an o-ring at that point, which will come in a seal kit, but may not fix your issue. If the pump head has warped from ice or heat even a new o-ring won't help.

Impellers can be damaged by removal if you aren't careful, but you only need to remove it to replace the shaft seal. I use a hooked wire through the output to hold the impeller while I break it loose. Removing the pump front and grabbing it with channel locks will break it most of the time.

Pumps are rated in two ways, true HP, and brake HP. True HP is the power while running. Brake HP is the power at start-up, which is using a capacitor and different coil in the motor. So it wasn't a lie, but it was and is misleading. I worked in the industry when they first started that in the 90s, and we got a stack of 3.5HP stickers and instructions to place them over the 2HP stickers on all of our pumps in stock. Like magic! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fortunately I was able to tighten the bolts either side of the leak.  They were loose and joint was larger at the bottom than at the top.   I've carefully tightened them so now the joint is closed and parallel.  No more leaks.  Just the pipe to repair once the PVC cement arrives.   Many thanks for your help it's very much appreciated 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
12 hours ago, antoanthemselves said:

Oh man, you need a plumber to fix your hot tub. i think that's the only solution. Preparing by your own I think is too hard. But I hope you succeded.

You are posting in a thread that is well over a year old. The previous post indicates that he did fix his tub. This thread is now closed.

• Like 2