Diy tub where to place heater

qwertyjjj

I'm building a diy tub from an ibc container (250 gal) and just pallets or maybe 2x4 frame.

I have a cheap pool pump from an intec pool, maybe 1/2hp.

If I buy a heater like this:

https://www.canadahottubparts.ca/hydroquip-spa-heater-2550-5350-5-5kw/

How do I house it? Does it need to be in a box separate from the tub or can you put it on the side of the tub in some sort of enclosure?

That is an inline heater, meaning water flows through it. 

I would strongly advise that you shop for a used spa, or at least do enough research to know what all is involved in a hot tub so you don't injure anyone or burn your house down. Spa controls have numerous redundant safety devices to prevent all kinds of unpleasantness. It takes more than just a pump and heater to make a hot tub.

• Thanks 1

Quite honestly I would go a different route. Look for a new or used camper hot water heater. Something along the lines of a suburban 10 gallon.   You could run it off propane, electric or both. Then plumb a branch line to provide hot water. With the built in thermostat you can avoid boiling yourself if you are set on a DIY project 

2 hours ago, qwertyjjj said:

above link is just a replacement battery for the inside of these units?

No, it is just a heater. No thermostat, high limit protection, flow protection, pump controls, timers, or anything else. Just a heater in a tube.

Again, I strongly advise against this plan. Your complete lack of knowledge regarding hot tubs is painfully obvious, and I feel this project is beyond your ability to complete safely and effectively. Get a cheap used spa and fix it if you want a cheap tub and a project to work on. Building one from scratch with no know-how is foolish at best.

Battery was a phone auto correct typo. Was meant to say heater. 

For the pump system, do you need one pump for water and one for the air/blower?

I have found a decent spa pack with top side control, plus ability to wire up a pump and a low voltage light.

Understand your concern, admittedly I am new to spas but learning a lot online. I've done pool filtration before on my own above ground pools so don't figure it's too difficult to learn. Am determined to do it myself so that's where I'm heading...

1 hour ago, qwertyjjj said:

auto correct typo.

Figured as much. My phone is always auto-screwing me too.😉 I have learned to proofread before hitting send, and still miss some.

For the pump system, do you need one pump for water and one for the air/blower?

If you want a blower, you need a blower motor. Spa jets pull in air through a venturi from an air control valve and manifold or pipe. A blower is generally a separate system with it's own jets.

have found a decent spa pack with top side control, plus ability to wire up a pump and a lies voltage light.

Better. I fear for your safety a bit less now.

but learning a lot online.

🙄 And now I fear for your safety even more! 😉

determined to do it myself so that's where I'm heading...

We'll give you all the advice you want, but you'll have to hear the advice you don't want too. 

By the time you are done you will have spent more on a plastic tote with no seats, much less massage, and a few scattered jets than you would have on a used tub needing repairs that you then repaired. You could have a real spa instead of an uncomfortable, uninsulated water trough. There are used spas on craigslist and fakebook everywhere I have looked. And I guarantee you will enjoy it more.

RDspaguy is correct I'm afraid. By the time you spend the money and your time its not worth it. Time is still valuable no matter what anyone says, who wouldnt rather be fishing or whatever ur hobby is. A used project tub is a good base, I agree with that. Theres a guy on another site that did this with a metal feed tub, about 500 gallons. It's a warm bath, and that's all you will really get out of anything DIY.  Once you have or use therapy jets the warm bath doesn't cut it anymore

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, qwertyjjj said:

I really don't like therapeutic jets. Love hot tubs, hate jets.

Bubbles are fine.

How would you suggest transporting a used spa? I don't have a truck. By the time I've hired a truck/trailer and moved it I may as well build one :)

look online kijji I found guys to move my tub for $300 cash  from the orig owners back yard to mine  best $300 i spent as tub was 1000lbs

12 hours ago, qwertyjjj said:

The transport is more the problem of a used spa

There are a ton of 3-seaters on the market which weigh less than 500 pounds and often less than 30 inches tall so they can fit through narrow walkways on their sides. 

Moving a tub is only a PITA if you get something massive and hire people who don't know what they're doing.  With the right tools like a hottub dolly two experts can quickly & easily move a tub from one location to another

• Like 1