Why did this heating element fail?

rsg123

40 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

That huge rusty clump by the clip is a hole.

Thanks. I was wondering about that but when I touched it it felt like some kind of grease. When I cleaned it off I could feel where it ate deeply into the metal. This heater was used for a 1900 gallon salt water pool (chemical levels balanced) for 2 weeks before it failed. I will replace it with a titanium element and see if that works.

When you installed it did you look down the tube to ensure that the element was not touching the side wall of the tube? This is the most common mistake made by DIY'ers. If it is out of alignment and touching the tube wall it will hot spot and fail in a short period of time. Heaters are a wear item and will require replacement from time to time along with pump seals.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

When you installed it did you look down the tube to ensure that the element was not touching the side wall of the tube? This is the most common mistake made by DIY'ers. If it is out of alignment and touching the tube wall it will hot spot and fail in a short period of time. Heaters are a wear item and will require replacement from time to time along with pump seals.

This was removed from a brand new Balboa spa pack (well it was about 2 weeks old).