Hot tub help!

kentub

Can anyone help out here, we just want a nice quality 4 seat hot tub.

2 pumps? Depth? heater power? Pump should it be LX? 

Are the lounger seats good or not worth it?

Problem at moment is we live in dorset and not many places open to wet test. Ive found one place but only a few open.

I see for example arctic spas are about 980 deep whereas one at Blue whale is 780 deep. obvs i dont want to be sitting in it with my shoulders poking out? Also this had 3 pumps is that just more to go wrong?

We have a budge of 6k don't want it too big but good for 4 adults would be nice thanks.

Any pointers appreciated thanks

Just answered another question for someone - we have an Arctic - the Yukon ... there is no lounger but if it's just one or two of you,  you can "lounge" anyway.

And you can completely immerse up to your neck,  no problem... the Yukon also allows us to have guests as it's a six-seater (albeit,  we have no more than four,  most of the time)... 6K pounds,,  don't know if it would fit in that budget limit.   Your Arctic dealer can advise,  they have several tiers of tubs.

And for a small four seater - like the Yukon (listed as 6 but 4 is the comfort limit) ... 2 pumps are fine.

On 2/21/2021 at 4:04 PM, kentub said:

2 pumps?

Depends - are there 10 jets in the tub, or 50? 

Jet count and size determine pump size and count needs. Sometimes too much jet pump power for the plumbing can reduce performance.   Unfortunately there is no quantifiable way to measure jet-feel, as such a wet-test is the only way to know if the jets can provide adequate therapeutic massage for your needs.

Are the lounger seats good or not worth it?

Again entirely depends on the person.  I had no clue loungers existed until my hunt for my first hottub.   This is a very subjective topic and varies entirely from user to user, and tub to tub. Not all loungers are created equally.  The first generation of loungers were poorly designed and many people had buoyancy issues making them wasted space in the tub, as such a lot of dealers claim that most second-time buyers skip the lounger when buying a new tub.

Personally I REALLY wanted a lounger so I scheduled a wet-test to verify I was comfortable before buying.  I'm glad I did because it's our favorite seat in the spa - my wife and I literally fight over it.  I spend at least 90% of the time in my lounger seat when using the tub alone.

I did a lot of research on loungers and it sounds like people who enjoy recliners and lay-z-boy chairs get the most use out of them.  So ask yourself - when you're sitting on a couch, do you lounge out, or sit upright?

obvs i dont want to be sitting in it with my shoulders poking ou

My Hotspring Jetsetter is also very shallow - only 740mm tall (to fit through doorways on it's side).  The seats are still deep enough to get your body under water.   The biggest issue you will find is the shallow foot-well for your feet.  In my tub the knees are bent up a bit higher than I'd like, but in the lounger, my body is fully submerged up to my neck just like the big tubs.

We have a budge of 6k don't want it too big but good for 4 adults would be nice thanks.

Dunno what's in your region, but I have a feeling your budget is on the slim side for what you want.  Even here in the states $6k will only get you into a mid-grade three-seater these days.

1 hour ago, ratchett said:

Unfortunately there is no quantifiable way to measure jet-feel

😂

1 hour ago, ratchett said:

the dealer you buy from is usually responsible for warranty labor costs, NOT the manufacturer. 

Not so. The manufacturers have a payment schedule, and only pay a certain amount for a given repair. This is usually less than the dealer charges for repairs and does not include things like drain/fill time, moving the spa for access, drive time, or even hourly labor times (they pay x amount to do a heater element, y to replace a pump, etc). Plus, some manfs go really out of the way to deny warranty claims (Cal), leaving the dealer to eat it since they already did the work before the claim denial and you are unlikely to get a customer to pay at that point. 

So dealers are left to cover much of it, but the warranty is manufacturer. This is one reason dealers often drop manufacturers. I have worked for 2 that dropped Cal for warranty claim denials. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RDspaguy said:

😂

Not so. The manufacturers have a payment schedule, and only pay a certain amount for a given repair. This is usually less than the dealer charges for repairs and does not include things like drain/fill time, moving the spa for access, drive time, or even hourly labor times (they pay x amount to do a heater element, y to replace a pump, etc). Plus, some manfs go really out of the way to deny warranty claims (Cal), leaving the dealer to eat it since they already did the work before the claim denial and you are unlikely to get a customer to pay at that point. 

So dealers are left to cover much of it, but the warranty is manufacturer. This is one reason dealers often drop manufacturers. I have worked for 2 that dropped Cal for warranty claim denials. 

Company I worked for years ago dropped Cal Spas for that same reason.  Warranty wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, castletonia said:

Company I worked for years ago dropped Cal Spas for that same reason.  Warranty wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

When I had my CalSpa delivered (late 1988), the two doors covering the equipment recess were mis-aligned, believe that happened on delivery, as the spa was on its side to get it through my gate.  Since it was new, I requested that to be repaired, and a guy was sent out, and he fixed it.  Three weeks later, that guy sent a bill to me, saying the dealer stiffed him and asked for ME to cover the costs.  Well, this guy could hardly write, and I saw that the bill included 1 full gallon of wood glue, stuff like that.  I said not my problem, dealer owes you, never heard from him again.

I still have that '88 CalSpa.