Help! New hot tub owners struggling to maintain bromine levels and pH

dobeleye

Help! New hot tub owner and we can’t seem to balance the water and can’t figure out why. Every evening, we’re able to get the chemicals in balance and everything seems fine. But every morning, the ph is sky high 8.4 and there is zero bromine in the tub. I tried shocking it yesterday with non chlorine shock after adjusting the ph, and that worked - but again only for a few hours. We are using the spa frog system to add bromine to the tub, but the ph levels seem to be consistently high and the bromine levels consistently nonexistent each morning. What are we doing wrong and how can we fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

Also, post a full set of test results. I suspect one of your problems is that your TA is too high. Read my pinned thread on lowering TA in the pool water chemistry section. Aslo, have you crated a bromide bank in the water with sodium bromide? (IF you live in Canada you cannot purchase sodium bromide). Until a bromide reserve is built up in the water (which can take weeks if you are depending on bromine tabs to do it) it is not unusual to have difficulty maintaining bromine in the tub.

• 3 weeks later...

I would only add here that that the spa could have been delivered with actively growing biofilms and that will absolutely wack out your chemistry.  I learned the hard way -- always purge a new spa with ahh-some.  I sound like a broken record (does anyone know what that actually refers too?) but if you're interested in a long read, my story is too long to post here ( I tried a long time ago).

in short -- to be sure:  Read up on chemistry and learn water balance but if you haven't purged your brand new spa with ahh-some, then you should consider reading my story 🙂 

https://rvdoug.com/hot-tub-maintenance/