PVC Air Manifold - Leak Repar

Hicks6

Hi! I'm back again with what is now my hot tub restoration at this point. I dug out a small leak in my hot tub and found that a connection on one of the PVC air manifolds. I want to avoid replacing the manifolds if I can because I think I'd end up needing to replace all of the tubing as well since they are pretty stiff from age. First I'm going to try PVC primer and glue on the outside. If that doesn't work I ordered some JB water weld that I'm going to give a shot. If neither of those fixes work, I suppose I'll have to replace the manifold and the tubing. Does anyone have experience with an external leak repair on PVC? Its a tiny leak, but enough to make a puddle next the hot tub, and I don't like that. 

I've attached some pictures. The leak is right at the glued joint where the upper manifold is white, and the lower is yellowing.

2.jpg

3.jpg

JB.JPG

1.jpg

That manifold, with jets on and air control closed, is under a vacuum. I would sand it well around the joint, turn on jets and close air controls, then coat with primer followed by pvc glue after primer has dried. The goal is to draw the primer and glue into the gap with vacuum pressure, and seal it from the inside. 

Epoxy putty might do the trick if going on well sanded fittings.

3 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

That manifold, with jets on and air control closed, is under a vacuum. I would sand it well around the joint, turn on jets and close air controls, then coat with primer followed by pvc glue after primer has dried. The goal is to draw the primer and glue into the gap with vacuum pressure, and seal it from the inside. 

Epoxy putty might do the trick if going on well sanded fittings.

Cool, I'll give that a shot!

2 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

I prefer using 2 part Devcon plastic weld epoxy over putty

Well, that's because you are a snooty city boy with access to a wide variety of hardware options. Out in the boonies where I live, you are lucky to find putty, much less plasticweld, and have to use good old JB weld for almost everything. I can't even get Christie's red hot blue glue out here! 

Honestly, I am not a big fan of epoxy of any kind for plumbing repairs if there is another option.

• Like 1

Last night I used primer and glue with the jets on and the air off as @RDspaguy suggested. I had watched some Youtube videos of a guy showing how that can work since its sucking the glue into the hole. Seems to have worked. No water this morning. I'll probably put another coat on for good measure and give it the weekend before I close everything back up to make sure. I looked at some threads on here about putting new foam in there. I think I'll just leave it be... 

Ordered a new cover that wont be in till June. Next step, repair and paint the cabinet. 

This thing has been a lot of work. Work that most people probably wouldn't think its worth, but I enjoy learning about things and fixing them. And who doesn't love a hot tub?!

• Like 2