30 amp breaker keeps tripping after several power surges or outages

Reese62

1 hour ago, castletonia said:

I assume you have either a Hot Spring or Caldera hot tub with dual breakers 20A/30A.  If so, which model and how old?  Does the 30A trip instantly when you reset it and if not, how long does it take to trip?

Most of the time it trips immediately.  The last time I shut off main breaker and left off for 30 minutes to let any internal resets to reset if there are any. When I turn the 30 amp back on, it took about 5 secs to trip.

2 minutes ago, Reese62 said:

Most of the time it trips immediately.  The last time I shut off main breaker and left off for 30 minutes to let any internal resets to reset if there are any. When I turn the 30 amp back on, it took about 5 secs to trip.

Hot springs pulse. 2016

29 minutes ago, castletonia said:

Could be a bad breaker but I think more likely a bad circulation pump.  Disconnect the circulation pump from the circuit board and see if the breaker holds.   If so, bad pump.

I don't often see a circ pump tripping a breaker, though it can happen. Usually an immediate trip is a heater. Is the 30 amp the heater breaker in that one?

Just now, Reese62 said:

Cold weather and electricity was going off and on very often for about 3-4 hours before I thought to turn off breaker to spa. Once outages quit happening is when I tried to turn it back on and the breaker started tripping. 

Guess I will start unplugging different circuits tomorrow and find what is tripping breaker. 

Heater is on the 20A on this hot tub.  30A powers everything else.  With Hot Spring / Caldera, whenever I hear of the 30A tripping immediately, it is most often the circulation pump.  Other than the circuit board, it is the first thing to get power.  Could also be a bad breaker but if I were a betting person, I would go with circulation pump.  

Are you the original owner?  If so, depending on when you purchased in 2016 this is likely still under warranty.  Parts/Electronics are a 5 year warranty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Hmmm.🤔 That's odd. In my experience working on all brands it is not usual for a circ pump to trip the breaker, though it does happen, usually when it's wet. I wonder why it's more common in a hot springs.

@CanadianSpaTech, any thoughts?

It is odd.  Of all other brands I had experience with before Hot Spring and Caldera, rarely would I ever see a circulation pump trip the breaker.

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

My guess... Ozone?

2016 Pulse would not have had ozone standard, would have to have been added.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 5:02 PM, castletonia said:

It is odd.  Of all other brands I had experience with before Hot Spring and Caldera, rarely would I ever see a circulation pump trip the breaker.

2016 Pulse would not have had ozone standard, would have to have been added.

Nothing extra added. So no ozone

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, MaineJason said:

For me, it turned out to be the circulation pump.

If it is helpful, I have a video that shows how to replace the pump in a HotSpring tub.

https://youtu.be/wi3I09rC_dE

Year old thread buddy. Any knowledgeable advice is welcome here, but it's better to give it to those currently looking for answers. But I suspect you're just fishing for views on your mediocre video asking everyone to subscribe to your channel and have no desire to help anyone here, which makes this post spam.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Year old thread buddy. Any knowledgeable advice is welcome here, but it's better to give it to those currently looking for answers. But I suspect you're just fishing for views on your mediocre video asking everyone to subscribe to your channel and have no desire to help anyone here, which makes this post spam.

Geeze - that's harsh.  Actually, this year old thread helped me with my problem a few days ago so I just thought I'd add something that might help someone else.  Maybe you are the one who wrote the long comment on the video?  If so, I thank you for taking the time to point out some of the details I had incorrect.  I notice above you mentioned that you don't often see a circulation pump tripping a breaker, but as that was exactly my case, I thought it might be helpful to point out that it can, indeed happen.  I was not attempting to be so nefarious, I was attempting to be helpful.

2 hours ago, MaineJason said:

Geeze - that's harsh.  Actually, this year old thread helped me with my problem a few days ago so I just thought I'd add something that might help someone else.  Maybe you are the one who wrote the long comment on the video?  If so, I thank you for taking the time to point out some of the details I had incorrect.  I notice above you mentioned that you don't often see a circulation pump tripping a breaker, but as that was exactly my case, I thought it might be helpful to point out that it can, indeed happen.  I was not attempting to be so nefarious, I was attempting to be helpful.

Fair enough. We just get alot of spammers on here, and it grows tiresome. When I checked out your video and heard you asking for subscribers I assumed you were just another one hitting up every forum out there fishing for clicks. I assume your other videos are not spa related? While I wish you the best of luck with your channel, this is not the place to advertise it.

I'll give you credit for doing the job, and for accurately (I assume) troubleshooting it. However, your troubleshooting method has a few curve-balls that bear mention. Yes, disconnecting one component at a time will narrow it down, but you have to keep in mind that disconnecting some components will turn others off, possibly leading to a misdiagnosis and the purchase of unneccessary parts. For example, disconnecting the circ pump will cause flow errors and disable both the heater and ozonator/uv/salt cell (if present). On most spas, with just one breaker, this could lead you to buy a circ pump when in fact it is the heater that is bad. In your case, the heater is on its own breaker, but that is not the norm. We had one guy just sure his sensor was tripping his breaker and couldn't understand why the new one didn't fix it, as it stopped tripping if he unplugged it. Of course, unplugging a sensor shuts EVERYTHING down, but he didn't know that.

I did like that you stressed that the breakers were off, and mentioned the risks of water and electricity with advice to call a professional if you are not sure of yourself. Safety first!👍

• Like 1