Can I upload a video clip to support my question posted a few mints ago?

Masood

Original post here:

Hi, hot tub came with the house I purchased so first time user. Since I’m allergic to Chlorine I was advised to use bromine and I used a floater with tablets of Bromine called SPAPure Brominating Tab.

the test strips always showed proper levels, ph, hardness, bromine, etc. but first time cleaning, I see deposits of some white stuff that had not been desolated in the filter housing. 

I don’t know what they are and if a chemical reacting to Bromine?

I really need advise before i start filling up this Sundance 880 series Marin Hottub. I think it’s one of the bigger ones too.

any advise would be greatly appreciated since beside what I had used for PH, hardness, sanitizing with Bromine, I don’t know anything else even though I have been reading but lots of materials and none to the point really.

I wonder what this deposit, like construction stuff, milky white and non-dissolvable apparently. I wonder what they could be and why?

please advise,

Can I upload pics or video clips showing those white deposits? Attachment paper lip doesn’t work!

regards,

masood

Hi and thank for your prompt response, I use test strips I purchased from Amazon. Always all without the OK limits. We really haven’t even used it much may be few times. No detergent on cloths/ bathing suites. We also don’t sit there for long, not more then 15 mints Max each time we used. 

it’s empty now as I drained it earlier this afternoon after running some recommended chemicals to clean the pipes and jets ( got it from a Spa store and they recommended it), filter currently soaking in water/chemical solution (filter clean 16 oz in 4 Gallons of water). Just rains the insert. Filter was changed new 45 days ago when tech from Vienna hottubs charged me $255 to drain, clean and refill after we moved in to the house. Even the ultraviolet ray tube was changed new.

we used Bromine as oppose to Chorine. The rest was chemicals to balance PH, softness/hardness and chemical to balance calcium or metal. That is all I know.

now, I have drained it as said above and am cleaning bye shell by a solution purchased from Spa store in Virginia. I like to know all I need to know and see what goes with Bromine that I had not used the first time or Vieena Hottub tech did not used the first time. What I may have missed if any?

thank you for your help. Means a lot to me.

best Regards,

masood

2 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

List chemicals used, test results, test method, and routine.

@waterbearcan get you squared away.

It looks like scale from high ph to me. Are your seats gritty?

Ok, I need one formula to start with then after refilling I can collect data and upload. Using test strips from Amazon, all factors been within OK area.

beside Bromine and PH balance and water soft/hard chemical, what other chemical i need to use with Bromine please?

I can refill and start with that Formula then start taking tests.

what test kit is recommended for lost accurate results? Mine is just a bottle of test strips from Amazon.

I don’t mind spending little extra and get a real dependable testing kit.

regards,

Masood

On 2/13/2021 at 11:26 PM, Masood said:

what test kit is recommended for lost accurate results?

If you are using bromine you want to get a Taylor K-2106 FAS-DPD test kit for bromine. If you can't find one you can get a Taylor K-2006 for chlorine and multiply the Free Chlorine reading by 2.25 to get a Bromine reading. Both kits are availaboe on Amazon and other online reatalers if you live in the US. If you are in Canada they are also available but have a different distribution channel and are much more expensive.

13 hours ago, Masood said:

It looks like liquid test kits are most reliable when it comes to true readings so to balance chemicals in water just right.

Liquid drop based test kits are not all created equal. Taylor kits stand ablve the rest for several reasons that are technical and FAS_DPD testing of sanitizer levels is far superior to DPD testing or OTO testing, found in most other companies test kits. DPD will bleach out and give false low readings at high sanitizer levels and OTO only tests total sanitizer levels. (Taylor also makes DPD and OTO test kits but I don't recommend them except for the K-1000 OTO/pH test kit for chlorine or bromine as an additional kit for a quick daily check of sanitizer and pH just to make sure everything is ok without having to break out the 'big kit'. You still need the big kit for weekly checks or if the 2 way kit indicates a problem.

I am not a fan of kits with colorimeters photometers that read the reagents (or even worse, test strip reader). Realize that the colorimeters used in stores for testing cost in the range of $1000 to $2000 dollars or more (and there are limitation with some of the tests because of the chemistry involved) so  'consumer' meters and strip readers that cost between $40 and $200 are questionable, IMHO.

13 hours ago, Masood said:

Thanks. I ordered the bromine Taylor test kit as recommended however I was not able to find and order few test tubes for this kit so all 4 or 5 test can be done same time.

thanks again for all support provided. Thank you,

masood

The tests are titration tests (counting drops) except for the pH test so, unless you have 4 people performing the tests at the same time you have to do them one at a time. You only need what comes in the kit to get you started.

Here are vidoes from the Taylor website that show the testing procedures for the K-2006 kit. The K-2106 for bromine is identical except that it does not include the Cyanuric acid test (not needed for bromine) and the FAS-DPD titrant is a different strength so the drop equivalents are different .5 ppm total bromine per drop of titrant in a 25 ml sample instead of .2 ppm for the chlorine test  and 1.25 ppm in a 10 ml sample as opposed to .5. All other tests are the same. I would recommend using a 10 ml sample for bromine and a 25 ml sample for both total alkalinity and calcium hardness. pH test uses a 44 ml sample, The comparator is clearly marked and is the only tube you need for these tests.

https://www.taylortechnologies.com/en/page/231/k-2006-complete-kit-with-fas-dpd