Actual Costs of Running a Hot Tub - Data Provided

mscdman

I’ve been tracking via my excel sheet (attached) how much it’s been costing me to run.  As a new owner, I was pretty scared about how much it would cost to run (still am a little  actually during a really cold weekend coming this weekend) l, but I decided to do some testing so to see if my fears were justified. I’d heard stories of some owners spending over $100 a month which would be a big concern for me. .  As there are many factors that determine energy use here are mine:

•2020 Marquis 215 gallon hot tub

•240V

•Denver - February- average high temp 46ish

• used about 3x a week - 20 mins

• partial filled foam (3/4).  4 inch foam cover

• added a spa blanket and additional r-15 bat insulation to the cabinet

• temp ranged between 101 and 104 throughout the test

•$.12 cents per KwH

Summary:  Real world testing shows it’s costing me about $.82 cents a day on average.  Less when not used and about $.25 additional for each use.  So for the month of January/February (my bill cycle starts on the middle of the month) I spent about $25 extra in electrical costs.  

Hot Tub Energy Usage 2.xlsx

• Like 1

Really nice to see your data on power consumption (note the excel sheet is unavailable). Thanks for posting.

I do not have my tub yet (on order) but I have an energy monitor on the hot tub circuit to give me the usage data once we get it.  There is not a lot of information on real world energy consumption out there.  Spent a lot of time digging around for it, but other than a posting or two, pretty hard to come by.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dashmer said:

Really nice to see your data on power consumption (note the excel sheet is unavailable). Thanks for posting.

I do not have my tub yet (on order) but I have an energy monitor on the hot tub circuit to give me the usage data once we get it.  There is not a lot of information on real world energy consumption out there.  Spent a lot of time digging around for it, but other than a posting or two, pretty hard to come by.

I had the same problem.  Lots of stories but no actual data.  My data is approximate.   I don’t have a dedicated hot tub energy circuit monitor display.  So what I did was take an average of KWH usage from the past 3 years by Month  and came up with a “pre-hot tub” KWH 3-year average for that month.  Then compared it to the post hot tub use for that month and subtracted the difference.  Viola.  Not 100% accurate but darn close in my opinion. 

if my excel file I posted was active, you could see that each night at the same time I read my house meter and input into the sheet and subtracted from that value the average pre hot tub daily KwH use for that month giving me the KwH used for the hot tub that day.  I them summed up all the days to get the usage and cost. 

also the sheet shows the effect the ambient temp seemed to have on usage.  But that real test comes this weekend in the -10 degree weather 

1 hour ago, jimmythegreek said:

It's been extra cold here in NJ amd I'm seeing almost 50$ on my electric bill then past 2 months compared to no tub last year. So I'd say 35ish for tub usage the rest to more furnace run time on the fan (nat gas) didn't see any difference summer months amd maybe $10ish October/Novemeber.  Full foam limelight flair

During this last frigid freeze this weekend we had 48 hours of 0 degree weather and -15 lows.   I didn’t use the tub during this period but lowered the temp to 100.   It still used only 8kwh/day even in that cold.  Amazing