Swim Spa water issue - biguanide system being used.

Shalena

Hi there. Please help if you can.  I have a 2118g swim spa that is 6mos old.  We have had to drain it three times so far - it was recommended that we use a biguanide system and we use Leisure Time Free system (same manufacturer as BaquaSpa) I have an issue with the “goo” that accumulated on my spa water line, which is extremely sticky, and the stickiness is also like a “slick” on the water - the “slick” is not gummy and isnt sticky until you get out of the water and dry...then it feels like dried glue but sticky.  We drained it, cleaned, pressure washed, cleaned again, drained again then refilled it two weeks ago and the issue came back within a week.  The sticky slick settles on the skin making me sticky.  (If anyone knows how to easily get the sticky off of our body, you would be my new best friend!).  I added Enzyme and additional sanitizer, and the goo along the walls started to gum up.  I can get the gum off with a scraper, but how do we get rid of the sticky residue it leaves behind?  Even the floor of the spa is sticky (not as bad as the goo - but my feet stick to the bottom).  Had to get in the water today to try and get the gum off - and I got out sticky with a slight skin irritation.  I want to love my spa and I am using the Leisure Time FREE system (same manufactures of BaquaSpa. - no one sells Baqua here in Vegas).  We cannot enjoy it when we cannot sit in it.  The last time we drained it, the goo sticky was so bad, it took a day to scrape it off and wash the spa as it hardened like cement.  I need help and this seems to be the place to go - I need a biguanide expert!  Please help me love my spa again.

Also - of note - I had the water tested and it is in range for all parameters.  I also tested the source water and it is within range for biguanide - meaning the TDS and chlorine was low.

Also to add - the original recommendation told us to us a mineral stick with the Free system - NO!  Per the manufacturer, the minerals are not compatible with biguanide.  So that is what I suspect caused the first issue with the “goo”.  However, after draining and cleaning, and the mineral content is within parameters, I am still at a loss.

• 2 weeks later...

The goo is commonly referred to as "BacquaGoo" and is a byproduct of how biguinide sanitizes and is probably it's biggest drawback. There is no way to avoid it but shocking with the peroxide shock does help somewhat but it is not really able to oxidize all the goo that forms. IF there is any chlorine present in the water (fill water) it will increase the problem. Why were you told to use biguinide? It's expensive, has many drawback (the goo being only one, wait until the bacteria become resistant and you start getting white water mold and pink slime (both bacterial). It's usually not a matter of if it will happen but when.

Mineral sticks are just cartridges of silver nitrate, NOT compatible with biguanide and are meant to be used with chlorine. Not a fan of those either.

It seems that whoever recommended the chemicals to use has no knowledge of pool/spa chemicals if they told you to use a mineral stick with biguinide. My suggestion is switch to chlorine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waterbear said:

"BacquaGoo"

🤣😂👍

I once agreed to handle warranty repairs for Costco in St. Louis. They sold tubs with a baqua kit. It was my first experience with it, and I was suddenly inundated with calls for no heat, slime, odor, etc. It was an experience, to say the least. They stopped selling spas after about 6 months, but my complimentary membership was good for a year. 😉

• Like 1