Todd L

ToddL83

Help me!

I have Jacuzzi j345 that trips gfci on occasion but once it trips it it takes a while to get it to stay on.  Specifically if pump 1 goes is turned to hi or once it kicks on it will trip immediately.

this has happened atleast 1-2 times a year for the last couple of years.

I’ve isolated it happening to when it needs to be topped off with water and I fill it a bit too hi.  I suspected that it was possibly the control panel being cracked and water running over or splashing but have eliminated that.  This time I knew it was a bit full so when I used it I was careful not to splash or overflow it.  So pump one was on low circulating and it would let me run pump 2.  After 10 minutes or so I turned off pump 2 and pushed pump 1 to high.  It tripped immediately.

this time I went ahead and changed the breaker hoping it was just something weird.

turned it on same thing.

any help?

is there a way to do a ground fault test on the jacuzzi?

if not, maybe unplug pump 1 and see if it will run?

thanks in advance!

Check the pump between the wet end and the dry end (motor) for any signs of leaks at the shaft seal where the motor shaft goes into the wet end. If it has a bad shaft seal and it is leaking along the motor shaft it might run ok on low and just drip off the shaft but when you go into hi speed it increases the air flow into the front of the motor and that increased air flow can also suck water deeper into the motor and cause a GFCI or pump trip.

This is one possibility.

Could have a bad Hi speed Relay. Post photos of the circuit board and also the schematic on the inside cover.

Do you have a multimeter?

Thanks for the reply.

I unplugged the pump 1 from the circuit board to see if it would keep it running and it did.  So that will atleast get me buy and keep me from freezing.

In the 2 possibilities you listed, not being a tech is this something it might be easier to just swap the pump out or are they easy to check and correct?

I might be able to find a multimeter but may have to get one from my office.

pics attached

68958FAC-89FB-4256-BD5C-CE261F054771.jpeg

72061571-02C0-4BC8-8C1A-32B3374BF091.jpeg

5B96A5AD-D048-403A-9AF2-1D77FE12B282.jpeg

15 hours ago, ToddL83 said:

So pump one was on low circulating and it would let me run pump 2.  After 10 minutes or so I turned off pump 2 and pushed pump 1 to high.  It tripped immediately.

Mildly confused...The pump you posted photos is a single (hi) speed only pump and there is no hi/low just hi speed

Waterway Single speed here:  https://pool-spa-supplies.com/waterway-plastics-pump-ww-executive-4-0hp-230v-12amp-1-spd-56fr-2-3711621-1d

Waterway 2 speed here: http://spaquip.com/waterway-executive-56-frame-ge-marathon-4hp-230v.aspx

LX replacement here 2 speed: https://pool-spa-supplies.com/lx-pumps-pump-40hp-230v-2-speed-56-frame-lx-56wua400-ii

LX replacement for what you have in photo (1 speed) here: https://www.spadepot.com/Sundance-Jacuzzi-Spa-Pump-LX-Replacement-6500-352-56Fr-P3013

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Mildly confused...The pump you posted photos is a single (hi) speed only pump and there is no hi/low just hi speed

The wiring diagram shows only single speed pumps. Can't tell how it's wired on the board, but it looks like nothing is connected to pump 1, just pump 2 and circulation pump.

• 1 month later...