Hot tub subpanel is not tripping but main panel is?

srqhottub86

Hey guys,

Before I call the electrician and pay a diagnoses fee I was wondering if anybody had an insight into a new issue we've been experiencing.

The hot tub was "over flowed" by party goers last weekend and tripped while they were using it. I reset the breaker and it was business as usual. This happens on occasion as people don't consider how much they will raise the water when entering the hot tub. During the night the hot tub tripped a few more times and we decided to get out.

Here's the weird part. The hot tripped the sub panel that night but now it's not tripping the GFCI sub panel but instead tripping the main panel in the house. I'm not sure if the GFCI is bad or if the hot tub is bad, because normally the GFCI would trip at the hot tub disconnect box.

I should also mention that the hot tub will stay on when sitting idle but will trip the breaker when the jets are turned on (sometimes) and always when the heat is turn on for more than 30 minutes (so it trips during warm up).

Thanks in advance!

@srqhottub86 please post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cove so we know what system you are using and we might be able to help.

Might want to also remove and inspect your GFCI for any burnt areas where the wires connect.

If the water is getting into the cabinet and onto the spa pack or the motors (likely through overflowing the air injection valves on the inside of the cabinet) You may want to try and divert the water away from those areas. 

Disconnect the ozone or UV system from the circuit board and leave it disconnected until the issue is fixed. They are prone to failure and can sometimes cause intermittent problems. Remove it from the equation.