Leak prevention questions...

Geralt49

I'm thinking about getting either a Swift Rigid Foam Hot Tub - Rattan or the Wave Spas Osaka Rigid Foam Hot Tub.  These are the ones with the solid foam 'walls' and not the inflatable type.  My question and concern is if it ever develops a leak.  I want to put it in my finished basement.

Has anyone dealt with one leaking or are their any creative ways to make an enclosure that goes around the hot tub, basically like the ones that look like a mini deck, but are also designed to hold water incase of a leak?  I'm probably worrying about nothing but it is a concern.  

I would also be concerned with ventilation. Without proper ventilation it will be like a rain forest in your basement from the steam rising to the celling and dropping back down as rain drops.. Mold would also be a big concern.

Build a 4" wood frame around it and line it with a pond liner or even a tarp. You would also have to have a garden hose or line plumbed into it at the bottom edge and run the line to a floor drain. Placing a small float activated pump (Aquarium) placed inside the wood/pond lined frame would/should work as well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Geralt49 said:

My question and concern is if it ever develops a leak.

Leaks can happen on any tub - from a cheap $300 inflatable tub up to a $20,000 luxury flagship hottub.   The question isn't really "if" a tub will leak, but more so when it will leak. True, highend tubs tend to have a longer lifespan than any foam/inflatable tub on the market, but leaks can happen on most any hottub.  (Also note - improper water chemistry can damage seals causing leaks to happen prematurely on some tubs)

For what it's worth - there are several brands which make smaller 2 and 3-seater true hardshell portable hottubs which weigh only a few hundred pounds dry and less than 30 inches tall so they can fit through most doorways on their side.  This might be an option as opposed to these cheap chinese grade tubs.

Be sure you have a plan for where the water will go when things do leak - be it a gallon of splashout when you have a few extra guests in the tub, or a catastrophic failure of a seam causing you to lose two hundred gallons of water in less than a day.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

• Like 1